4 takeaways from Syracuse’s updated depth chart

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Syracuse won the Camping World Bowl when two transfers, Abdul Adams and Trishton Jackson, made their SU debuts.

Syracuse football released its 2019 media guide — including an updated depth chart — two weeks ahead of the opening of fall camp on Aug. 2. 

Since spring football, SU had made some slight tweaks, providing a look into which players SU will send out against Liberty on Aug. 31. 

The two transfers

Former Michigan State wide receiver Trishton Jackson is listed as a starter in the most recent depth chart, rising above the likes of spring football starters redshirt sophomore Cameron Jordan and junior Nykeim Johnson. 

Jackson made his Syracuse debut in the 2018 Camping World Bowl against West Virginia, catching a touchdown pass on the first play of the fourth quarter in the back corner of the end zone. After a year off from game action, Jackson might be the Orange’s No. 1 wide receiver come Aug. 31.

But Jackson’s fellow transfer, former Oklahoma running back Abdul Adams, is still listed as a co-backup to senior Moe Neal. Adams missed most of spring practice and the spring game with a shoulder injury. 

Adams shares the role with bruising sophomore Jarveon Howard. It was unlikely for Adams to dethrone an established back like Neal, but both running backs should get a good amount of handoffs in 2019. 

Adams had already demonstrated his prowess as a running back, scoring two powerful touchdowns on eight carries while, like Jackson, making his SU debut in the bowl game. 

Lining up

Airon Servais, a redshirt junior and likely SU’s best offensive lineman, is back to center in the most recent depth chart after playing at right tackle throughout the spring. 

This is likely due to the arrival of graduate-transfer tackle Ryan Alexander from Southern Alabama. Alexander is now listed as the backup to freshman Anthony Red at right tackle. He’ll likely take over the starting job before the season opener, allowing Red to take a season to develop. Redshirt freshman Carlos Vettorello is still listed as the starter at left tackle after playing the position in the spring. 

With Servais’ move back to the interior of the line, redshirt junior Sam Heckel has flexed from center to left guard while redshirt senior Evan Adams has locked down the right guard spot. 

By the opener, SU’s offensive line is likely to consistent of Vettorello, Heckel, Servais, Adams and Alexander. 

Another year, another linebacking core

Syracuse graduated its top two tacklers — linebackers Ryan Guthrie (107) and Kielan Whitner (100) — from the 2018 team. Their combined 207 tackles were a quarter of SU’s team total. 

Vying to replace the two are seniors Andrew Armstrong and Lakiem Williams, sophomore Juan Wallace and touted freshmen Mikel Jones and Lee Kpogba. Armstrong and Williams are currently listed as the starters, holding their spots from the spring. 

Armstrong is the most experienced of SU’s linebackers and saw the most time last season, recording 45 tackles and snagging an interception. He’s played in 37 games, making one start last season at Pittsburgh. 

Wallace and Williams played mostly on special teams last season. Both were newcomers to SU — a freshman and transfer, respectively — but even their limited experience gives them an edge against the two four-star freshmen, Jones and Kpogba. 

Secondary shuffle

As expected, senior cornerback Chris Fredrick is listed as a starter. His backup, however, is a bit surprising. 

Scoop Bradshaw, a starter at cornerback for most of his career at SU, is now listed as a second-stringer. Bradshaw had a rough second half of 2018, struggling with injuries and, at times, mental mistakes. As of now, he’s lost his starting job to Trill Williams — who is now listed as the starting nickel back. The other corner position on the current depth chart is held by Ifeatu Melifonwu. 

Williams and Melifonwu, both sophomores, were pushing Bradshaw and Fredrick for snaps last season and when Bradshaw started to falter, Williams plugged right in. Melifonwu likely would’ve played more, but was slowed by injuries late in the season.

The starting trio of cornerbacks is likely fluid, but Bradshaw is currently on the outside looking in entering fall camp.

Other notes

• Antwan Cordy, who is still on Syracuse’s roster and eligible for a sixth year, is not on the newest depth chart. Cordy began last season as the starting nickel back and played 10 games before taking time away from the team for personal matters at the end of last season. However, this summer Cordy has been working out with teammates in Syracuse.
  • The Orange’s special teams should again be one of the best units in the country. SU brings back punter Sterling Hofrichter, first-team All-American and Lou Groza Award-winning placekicker Andre Szmyt and Sean Riley — who averaged 18.6 yards per return last year.