Syracuse falls out of AP Top 25 after loss to Old Dominion

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Tyus Battle, pictured against UConn, and Syracuse are out of the Top 25 for the second time this season.

A week after rejoining the AP Top 25, Syracuse (7-3) fell back out this week after an upset loss to Old Dominion. SU received no votes. The Orange’s next opponent, Buffalo (10-0), remained at No. 14 ahead of an important December game between the Interstate 90 opponents on Tuesday night in the Carrier Dome.

Syracuse’s last win against a top-14 ranked team in the Carrier Dome was its upset of then-No. 10 Duke on Feb. 22, 2017, when John Gillon beat the buzzer for the win.

SU had been in the midst of a five-game winning streak when last week’s poll ranked the Orange in a tie for No. 25 with Kansas State and Indiana. But a second-half collapse against ODU ended that streak and prevented Tuesday’s matchup from being SU’s second ranked vs. ranked matchup of the season, after Oregon on Nov. 16.

Kansas remains at No. 1 in the poll, followed by a Duke team that Syracuse will face twice in Atlantic Coast Conference play. The ACC was further represented in the poll by No. 5 Virginia, No. 9 North Carolina, No. 11 Florida State and No. 13 Virginia Tech.

Syracuse and Buffalo tip off at 8 p.m. on Tuesday night. The game will be televised on ESPN2.