Syracuse football great Tim Green publishes children’s book with Derek Jeter

Courtesy of Tim Green

Tim Green, a Syracuse University alumnus and former Atlanta Falcon, has written 37 books. His latest is a children’s book, co-authored by former Yankee Derek Jeter.

UPDATED: April 3, 2018 at 2:32 p.m.

Shortstops and linebackers don’t usually work together. One has a knack for fielding ground balls; the other likes to shed blocks and force fumbles.

When the objective is authoring a children’s book, though, common ground can be found.

Former first-round NFL draft pick and Syracuse University alumnus Tim Green recently proved just that, releasing the second installment of his collaborative book series with New York Yankees legend Derek Jeter in March. The collaboration has proved beneficial and enlightening for both former sports stars.

“Double Play: Baseball Genius 2” follows Jalen DeLuca, a young boy with the ability to predict a pitcher’s throw before he even winds up. In the first book, released in March 2017, DeLuca used his talent to help save the career of aging New York Yankee JY Yager. In “Double Play,” both characters are shunned by their respective teams and must prove that they possess the baseball gravitas necessary to stand out among their peers.

Though this is only the second book the pair has worked on together, it is Jeter’s sixth children’s book and Green’s 37th publication. Green has become a New York Times best-selling author by writing about his former sport, and he has dabbled in baseball literature in the past.

The series’ young protagonist is named after Jeter’s nephew, Jalen, who is remembered by many for tipping his cap in respect during his uncle’s final game at Yankee Stadium. Green has named a number of his characters after his own five children in past novels.

DeLuca, like Jeter, is biracial, and in the first iteration of “Baseball Genius” he is faced with bullying. The authors hoped that by including this they would give young readers the chance to see from another perspective, potentially steering them to be kinder and more understanding toward their peers, Green said.

“I think it affords kids the opportunity to identify with the main character, to admire and hopefully like that person, and to see that everyone has challenges and obstacles — some of them fair, some unfair,” Green said.

Green expressed how enlightening it was to learn what growing up as a biracial child was like.

As a veteran children’s book author, Green has helped the future Hall-of-Famer along the way as well.

“I think, for Derek, I was proud in the process of his admiration for my storytelling and creating the characters and so forth,” Green said. “I felt good about that.”

The writing process has become second-nature to the all-time Syracuse football sack leader. While acknowledging the importance of a positive message, Green said that first and foremost, the mission is to entertain with plenty of action and short chapters that end with suspense.

A Liverpool High School graduate, Green rewrote the record books at SU, twice earning All-American honors and becoming the Orange’s all-time leader in career sacks. His hard work transcended the football field, and he graduated in 1986 as the co-valedictorian of his class.

John Roos, Green’s teammate on the early ‘80s Syracuse roster, remembered his scholarly drive.

“Off the field, Tim was a great student and took school very seriously,” Roos said. “On road trips, he would be reading books on the plane while everyone else was sleeping or listening to music.”

football-careers

Bridget Slomian | Senior Design Editor

Green simply had a thirst for education. He said he loved to read, using it as an escape, and that reading likely helped him become a better student.

“As a football player, he’s one of the best that’s ever played here,” said John Wildhack, director of athletics at SU. “He is a person of great accomplishment. No question about that.”

Upon graduation, the Atlanta Falcons called Green’s name in the first round of the 1986 NFL Draft. He led a successful and consistent eight-year career, nabbing 24 career sacks while anchoring a defense that featured Deion Sanders in the secondary.

Green said the sack he is most proud of is his 1992 takedown of “the Gunslinger,” Brett Favre.

“Brett was my roommate for away games in Atlanta his rookie year, so when he came back with the Packers, that was a big one,” Green said. “And, of course, I think he’s maybe the greatest ever, so it’s always good to have those guys on your sack list.”

Once he took his pads off for good, Green was once again enticed by the classroom, returning to SU in 1994 to pursue a law degree.

“When you’re done (playing), education is so important to keep from backsliding into depression and a feeling of helplessness that many guys feel,” said Green, who has been the managing partner of his own law firm since 2014.

Green’s ambition will not soon be forgotten around campus.

“There’s not too many Tim Greens in this world. He’s an incredibly bright, articulate person with diverse talents,” Wildhack said. “We’re proud of how he’s represented our university.”

CORRECTIONS: In a previous version of this post, the time when Tim Green was named a Rhodes Scholar finalist was misstated. Green was named a finalist during his senior year at Syracuse University. The amount of time Green has ran his own law firm was also misstated. Green has served as managing partner of his firm since 2014. The Daily Orange regrets these errors.