Syracuse to host Iona Nov. 14

Jacob Greenfeld | Asst. Photo Editor

Sophomore guard Tyus Battle will look to lead the Orange past Iona, a team SU hasn't played since 2010, in nonconference action come November.

Syracuse will host Iona on Nov. 14 as part of its nonconference schedule, SU Athletics has announced. CBS Sports college basketball insider Jon Rothstein first reported the matchup.

Earlier Monday, SU announced the date with Maryland as part of the ACC-Big 10 Challenge (Nov. 27). Iona finished last season 22-13 and 12-8 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. After winning the conference tournament, the Gaels earned a No. 14 seed in the NCAA Tournament and lost to Oregon, a No. 3 seed, 93-77 in Sacramento, California. SU finished the 2016-17 season 19-15 and lost in the second round of the NIT.

Iona head coach Tim Cluess enters his eighth season at the helm. The Gaels led the country in points per game in both the 2011-12 and 2013-14 seasons. His offense thrives on the 3-point shot — Iona led the country in 3-point field goals made (344) in 2014-15.

Syracuse has played Iona, located in New Rochelle, New York, four times since the teams’ first meeting in 1978. SU holds a 4-0 advantage, including an NCAA Tournament win in 1998. Syracuse won on a 22-foot buzzer-beater to win, 63-61. They last met Dec. 18, 2010 in the Carrier Dome, an 83-77 victory that bumped the Orange to a perfect 11-0 record.

Here’s the Orange’s nonconference schedule:

Friday, Nov. 10: Cornell

Tuesday, Nov. 14: Iona

Friday/Saturday, Nov. 17/18: Texas Southern

Monday, Nov. 20: Oakland

Wednesday, Nov. 22: Toledo

Monday, Nov. 27:  Big Ten/ACC Challenge vs. Maryland

Saturday, Dec. 2: Kansas (at American Airlines Arena, in Miami)

Tuesday, Dec. 5: Connecticut (at Madison Square Garden)

Saturday, Dec. 16: at Georgetown (Reportedly)

Tuesday, Dec. 19: Buffalo

Friday, Dec. 22: St. Bonaventure

Wednesday, Dec. 27: Eastern Michigan