ON CAMPUS

Security measures at Dineen Hall will be rolled back July 1

DPS implemented additional security measures in Dineen Hall soon after the building opened in 2014.

The Syracuse University Department of Public Safety will cut staffing to Dineen Hall’s Irving Avenue welcome desk starting July 1.

Additionally, the turnstile gates at the Irving Avenue and Stadium Place entrances to Dineen Hall will remain unlocked and will not require an SUID to pass through.

An SUID will still be required to access the building between 5:30 p.m and 7:30 a.m.

Ronald Denby, assistant dean for information technology and facilities at the College of Law, announced the security changes in an email on June 22.

It was determined a DPS officer’s presence at the welcome desk was no longer necessary for the building’s daily activities, Denby said in a follow-up email to The Daily Orange.

DPS officials have not responded to requests for comment at this time.

Most buildings on the SU campus do not have security turnstile gates or DPS staff at the entrance.

DPS implemented additional security measures at Dineen Hall soon after the building opened in 2014. People from Dineen Hall approached DPS about increasing security, DPS Associate Chief John Sardino said at the time.

In 2014, an SU faculty member criticized the security measures after she was barred from entering the building.