Former Syracuse forward Kris Joseph to play in NBA Summer League with Charlotte Hornets

His senior year, Joseph paired with Scoop Jardine to lead the 2011-12 Orange to the Elite Eight and earned All-Big East First Team honors.

UPDATED: June 28, 2017 at 9:05 a.m.

Former Syracuse forward Kris Joseph, a second round draft pick who played overseas the last three years, will play for the Charlotte in the 2017 NBA Summer League. This is his first Summer League shot in four years.

Joseph is one of nine former SU players on a Summer League roster this year. Joseph, Tyler Roberson, Tyler Lydon, Rakeem Christmas, Michael Gbinije, Chris McCullough, Malachi Richardson, Andrew White and James Southerland each has landed roster spots so far.

It’s been a rocky path for Joseph after he starred at SU and was a second-round selection (No. 51 overall) by the Boston Celtics in the 2012 NBA Draft. He spent time with the Celtics D-League team before signing a brief deal with the Brooklyn Nets. In 2013, he was traded back to the Celtics in a deal that sent Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry to the Nets.

Later in 2013, Joseph joined the Orlando Magic for training camp, but was waived in October. From November 2013 through 2016, he played on several teams in France and Italy. Most recently, the 6-foot-7 forward averaged 7.8 points and 3.1 rebounds in Italy.

At Syracuse, Joseph became a contributor off the bench his sophomore year, the 2010-11 season. He averaged 11.0 points and 5.4 rebounds and was named the Big East Conference Sixth Man of the Year.

As a junior, the Montreal native was named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 list and led Syracuse in scoring with 14.3 points per game. He finished second in rebounds (5.2) and steals (1.5) and was named to the All-Big East third team, the first Canadian to receive the honor since 1985.

His senior year, he paired with Scoop Jardine to lead the 2011-12 Orange to the Elite Eight, where SU fell 77-70 to Ohio State. Joseph, the 55th player in program history to reach 1,000 points, earned All-Big East First Team honors.

Joseph and the Hornets begin Summer League play July 1.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Tyler Cavanaugh was misstated as a former Syracuse player. Cavanaugh played for George Washington, not Syracuse. The Daily Orange regrets this error.