Editorial Board

Transcript: Student Association hopefuls Tyler Rossi and Roy Tin sit down with The Daily Orange Editorial Board

Jacob Greenfeld | Asst. Photo Editor

Roy Tin, center left, and Tyler Rossi, center right, are running for Student Association vice president and president, respectively.

Editor’s note: The Daily Orange Editorial Board interviewed both presidential and vice presidential candidate pairs in the running for the Student Association’s 61st session. In an effort to provide transparency in the Editorial Board’s endorsement decision, The D.O. has published the transcript of each interview. The following interview is edited for clarity.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board: What do you believe are the biggest issues currently facing student life at Syracuse University and how do you plan to address those concerns?

Tyler Rossi: One of the biggest things I feel is the concern of safety. I’m tired of Marshall Street constantly being an issue — being from Whitman and being around that area. It is considered off-campus, but do you we want to treat it that way? I think how we treat things is a big thing in SA. I think you can go the extra step and go the extra mile. In regard to safety, I met with Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado on the campaign trail and what I wanted to do was test out the feasibility of what we wanted to do. I talked to him to find out what we can do to make this campus safer. And so I brought some attention to him. No. 1 is LiveSafe app. Obviously I think SA should help market that. Currently about 4,500 out of 20,000-plus students here use LiveSafe and I think through our outreach program and getting involved, partnering through floor meetings and (Residence Hall Association), you know, getting involved with the freshman orientation process, we can help market that, especially to newer students. No. 2 is our restructure of SA. Currently, there are two co-student life chairs. I want to rename one of them to the chair of student safety. And why do I want to do this? Because my belief is that safety concerns for every student on campus should be a part of every student’s life. I think safety is a separate issue that should be dealt with differently. So what would the chair of student safety do? He would meet constantly with Maldonado, SPD, university officials, constantly pursue safety initiatives and make sure they’re on track. Even on the Chancellor’s Task Force for Sexual and Relationship Violence where we have a lot of things going on with sexual assault, which we want to tackle as well. In regard to Marshall Street, I’d like a floating DPS car to go around. Maldonado said that is possible. And then through the (University Area Crime-control Team), through which we pay SPD officers overtime to monitor those streets when we go out, I think we can increase that to midterms and finals week if we can provide more funding for that. So these are little things we can do. And then obviously we will continue with the off-campus camera initiative. We just want to make this campus safer. We are safe and there are a lot of measures in place. But I think SA can help do a better job and explain to students what current policies are and what’s going on. Just being transparent about it. Let’s talk about what we’re going to do, what’s going on and how we can do better.

Roy Tin: I agree with what you have to say. Another problem we have to think about is mental safety, which is a highlight of both campaigns. Two Mondays ago, I was also a victim of a hate crime. This is why I get to work very closely with the DPS office, the mental health awareness office and the STOP Bias Committee. We got to meet with these amazing people in these offices. From what we’ve gathered, they’re being completely underutilized. They’re at like 10 percent of their capacity. There’s absolutely a lot more that we can do. When we talk to them, one of the biggest issues they see right now is that students reach out a lot more to faculty members in their college or Resident Advisers rather than going through the Counseling Center. It is basically the No. 3 or No. 4 place they go to if they experience any kind of crime of hate. This is something we can change. And again, I spoke to (Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz) and there is something that we both agree on that we should be working on. For example, there should be lists of emergency contact on the back of Syracuse University IDs. Additionally, they’re going to redo the website for STOP Bias. They’re also going to redo the website so that it can link to Blackboard and Myslice. DPS will have a whole new committee to work with (Kantrowitz) next semester to have a whole team setup. Because of some personnel change, she didn’t tell me that much about what is going on. But they’re going to have more staff in … student activities to work on mental health completely. So this is something we would absolutely form a subcommittee in our administration, if elected, to work on that.

The D.O. Editorial Board: What experiences have you had that would qualify you to lead SA?

T.R.: My experiences come predominantly from Whitman. My freshman year, we started the Whitman Student Government (WSG). I saw this an an opportunity to get involved and really make a difference in my community. So I became a part of WSG. Now who here by a show of hands has been in the entryway in Whitman? So you see those 15-foot LED monitors that we put there? We got that done. And what that did, it basically displays when the students are meeting, organizations, the investment club, different events in Whitman and it basically increased student engagement. And then what we saw was an increase in our ranking. And student engagement is part of the ranking criteria. So basically what we did, and I’m not going to take credit for the ranking, but what we did, we helped contribute to the betterment of the Whitman community. Tangible results like that, things you can see, that’s what we want to do with SA. We want to have changes students can see. And that’s what helps with representation in SA. Because if students don’t see results that SA’s producing, we’re not going to be involved. But when they can see, hey, our student government put that there, then people feel, ‘Oh wow, they can do stuff for me. I’ll go to them. I’ll be more involved.’ So in WSG, we got things done. I was also a peer mentor for the (Goodman IMPRESS Program). Anyone who’s unfamiliar with that, it’s basically a program that helps grade you on extracurricular activities in Whitman. So, basically, it was like we had to come to campus early, you help with the Class of 2019, which came in and we basically showed them around, talked to parents, like an orientation leader. I’ve also been on several other clubs in Whitman. Outside of Whitman, I’ve been a legal intern so I understand paperwork and legalities of things. I have an internship this summer with Stryker, it’s a supply chain.

R.T.: In addition to the experiences we share, in WSG, the other thing that I think would benefit us most would be my external work experience. I’m a finance and entrepreneurship double major. Entrepreneurship is one sticks out of me. People say I’m creative. Well, I do design websites and do e-commerce and that’s how I’ve funded myself for college. I’m pretty happy about that. So there’s that. I have pretty good organizational skill, but I think the better thing would be pretty much something that Tyler did … in the first debate, that pretty much my experience at investment banks like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, it’s pretty nice to do them during freshman and sophomore year. Right now I’m just doing an off-term externship with Goldman Sachs. I’m also holding my own hatchfund in New York City, so that really helps. I’ve managed a team of 30 people. I’ve overseen 50 traders from Goldman Sachs, so there’s that. I think the biggest problem is our opponent is attacking us on how he’s related to students and Syracuse. I guess our management core investigation research paper can pretty much claim that. There’s this MGT 248 class that I’m in right now, it’s a sophomore management core class. We basically have to interview five people. I’ve worked at these organizations, I know how to put myself out there, how to be professional, how to talk to these people, which I respect, without being We got the chief financial officer of United Parcel Service to come in and talk to us. We got the chief executive officer of Allegiant Air and the CEO of American Airlines. Why are these important now? Because we have all these amazing relationships with all these people. They could be alumni or they could be useful business connections. And not only can they comment on our paper and provide a quote and such, the bigger thing would be a career fair. They can all show up. I can’t promise that they’re going to show up, but they all said they would be happy to send a team in here to show up and provide us with more opportunities. The big firms like IBM, American Airlines and such. I think that is something we can really benefit from. The biggest thing would be being a kid from Hong Kong to come to here and meet all Syracuse, adaptability would be something I value a lot. Tyler as well. We have to adapt a lot. We try not to … but we’re trying to get things done. Pragmatic would be one term people describe me a lot. There’s that.

The D.O. Editorial Board: What do you view as the main sources of improvement within SA?

R.T.: It definitely would be hierarchy and transparency. One thing that we talked a lot in the opening statement in the recent debate was “10,000 feet.” What that really means was that term was brought up during a meeting with the current SA president. What he told us was that all the figures that he needs are at 10,000 feet. The chancellor, the provost, a lot of trustees and different heads of different committees or schools. He doesn’t really get to work on his own initiatives. That is pretty bad. This something we would love to change. He told us both, the president and VP, don’t actually get to work on any initiatives except for being the liaison. Which we agree, which is something we have to be. But i you make a promise during the campaign, I think you should follow through. So this is why I think it’s important to have more transparency and a better hierarchy and precisely because of that hierarchy with the current SA. A lot of things should have been quote-unquote exposed but they have not. I know they set up the bylaw review committee. We think of that as a way they’re trying to look at the bylaws and constitution and not a way … rather than fixing the core problem, which is basically to make the president and VP comply to the rules that the student body, the assembly body agreed on, which is a shame. Why are they not complying? Instead they’re trying to say they’re dated and they should change it. They could be dated, but I think it’s very important to have a compliance office in place making sure that we’re doing everything within the lines, making sure everything that we’re doing is for the best interest of the student body and transparency. If we have that, I think this is one good way to put transparency out there. The other thing would be every single meeting that we have, we’re going to have open communication, no divide with anybody. We’ll have minutes basically for our weekly meeting. Sometimes the emails from the administration are so long, we don’t even want to read it. If you’re in finals week, who wants to read that? So we’re going to do point forms pretty much to tell you three things that we talked about, three things that we’re working on, three things that will be worked on next week. Nine-point form, short and concise. That’s how we want to do it.

T.R.: I think the term “10,000 feet,” it shows the difference in the problem with the mindset. As president, you don’t want to be 10,000 feet above your constituents. You want to be right there with them. And what I mean by that is when you represent the student body, you want to be engaged with the student body. You don’t just want to be engaged with the administration. One thing we got out of the meeting was they don’t like to give bad news to the administration. That’s not always the case. We have problems. We’re the student body. We want to address certain issues and if you’re afraid and don’t feel up to the challenge to say, ‘Hey, (Chancellor Kent Syverud), students don’t like this,’ we need to change. You need to be that negotiator. Sometimes you need to be tough and you need to advocate for the student body and that’s what we really plan to do. Increasing SA’s transparency. We want to have a good relationship with everybody and to really get our message out there. This year, the SA president has access to the mass email of the student body. I don’t see that being used enough. I think that he should be updating. I think he should be telling students this is what we’re working on and this is what we got done. Then you increase representation, then people would come to SA. So yeah, the real big goal of mine is to really hammer down transparency. What are we doing? What are we working on? Let’s be one with the students.

The D.O. Editorial Board: How would you connect with the SU administration? How would you advocate for the student body rather than just be not wanting to break the bad news?

R.T.: I think we have a lot of ways to set a meeting with the upper management of SU, but the problem is they are being underutilized. I guess the root of that problem is because of the attitude of the current administration that keeps saying “10,000 feet” is enough and that the chancellor only wants good news in front of the Board of Trustees. We get a fancy dinner, we dress in a suit, we tell all good news — it’s all pretty and sunshine. Sometimes it’s simply not the case if you have a gun shooting on Marshall Street, you want to bring that bad news to them. It has to go to their attention. We would tell them truthfully. Again, we wish that every time we do all these meetings that our compliance officer and at least one representative from the assembly board will be up there so, besides the executive branch, the judicial branch within the SA will also come along and take notes and understand what is going on with the upper management of SU.

T.R.: Another thing with transparency is I want to see more open forums. And don’t announce the open forum right before the day it is. Talk about it. Say this is what we’re doing. And when we are meeting, with the approval of the administration, I’d like to live stream the meetings, I’d like to show this is what I’m talking about. I don’t have anything to hide. I don’t need this position. I want this position to help people.

R.T.: Live stream is something that would absolutely work. On Facebook Live or Instagram Live, you can do comments and everything. Of course, we would have someone to censor everything live, but with that, it’s very nice. Even if you’re off campus, you can look at us, go to our page, understand what is going on. Just have your question, we’ll really ask it. We’re here to work for you guys. We’re with you, not above you. Which is something that’s missing right now.

The D.O. Editorial Board: What sets you apart from the other candidates?

R.T.: I guess the current experience they have might put them into a very mayoral pick position. The exposure we get from an outsider could really help. A president is only as good as his cabinet and an organization is only as good as its culture. And currently, the culture is something that no one in this room would approve. It’s dark. They’re sitting in the basement of Schine. They never come out. You never get a chance to meet with them or talk with them. That’s just something we absolutely ought to change. Regarding the bills our opponents passed, nothing was put through a vote to the bigger student body. There was no update, there was no follow-up. They simply said it was out there and the chancellor simply rejected them. We pretty much got no feedback or feed-forward for any of those confiscations … regarding safety. That’s absolutely something that will have to change.

T.R.: Our opponents, they’re great people. But they’re motto “proactivity greater than reactivity,” yeah, we believe in that. But our opponent, specifically the president, has been in SA for three years. When you see internal problems and you see stuff not getting done, where was the proactivity then? That’s what I want to understand. Because the president is, as Roy said, only as good as his cabinet. Now, (James Franco) was the chair of academic affairs, he did some things with that. But to be a leader, sometimes you need to reach out of your own position. You are part of the president’s cabinet. If the president’s having issues, if other cabinet members are having issues, you should go up to them and say, ‘Hey, what could we do to better this organization? I’m a leader in this organization as well.’ I think when you become part of SA for that long, you tend to lose sight of what the average student wants to see get done. You tend to lose sight of hey, the average student doesn’t know everything about SA. But when you’re in SA for three years, you see more organizational problems, more things that are going on in there instead of having the outsider experience and really saying hey, we’re just average students. We’re going to make a change.

R.T.: Additionally, the very fact the cabinet that they have right now, the entire campaign team that they have right now, which is around 10 people. In our campaign team, we only have the two of us in our campaign. If you go to our Facebook page and send us a message, I’ll reply to you in five minutes. There’s that. We simply really want to reach out. We want to hear what is going on with you guys. We want to know what is happening. There’s that. And I guess the big problem would be we’re really trying to use our intrinsic and external experience to do what can be done with … government rather than learn it from textbooks and try to experiment with that. In the administration, if you look at how they’re operating through the years, most of the cabinet members, they’re mostly from (the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs). They’re insiders. We think (Maxwell) classes are great classes, but it would be nicer if you had outside experience that actually worked at some very large organization and is pretty successful. ..

T.R.: Again, we want to say this exactly correct, what we really want to hammer home is that we’re not a part of SA, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get the job done. We wouldn’t be here if we didn’t think we could do a good job. We know we can do it. We want to bring that outsider approach, that every student approach to the top of the organization. Our opponents are great people. But what can we do to better this organization? Think of outsiders and provide that approach, instead of that entrenched in SA … Even (Franco) said SA experience is overrated. He’s saying that because he knows the organization has problems and knows he may be associated with them. It’s a defense mechanism. And he’s right to a degree. What we want to do is bring that outsider approach and external experience and give a go at it. Let’s make a change. That’s what we want to do.

The D.O. Editorial Board: Do you feel you’ll face any limitations, never having been in SA before?

R.T.: Absolutely. They could be a very mayoral pick. The problem is we’re trying to learn all of these ground rules from day one, which is fine. If you look at people who learned all of these rules three years ago, they’re violating them so that doesn’t help. I think going in with a fresh lens can really help and we can really understand if some of the bylaws are dated or if some of the constitution is no longer applicable. For example, one of the things we spotted in the constitution would be how to select the representatives of different colleges for the assembly body. We’re in Whitman. I’m not going to try to sound cocky, but I do get to represent Whitman a lot because I do pretty good in my classes. So every week, I represent Whitman and go to different places and go to different cities from time to time to represent the school and give lectures. So there’s that. When we were running for WSG, we were both elected. … If we weren’t running for SA, the current president wouldn’t even spare time for us.

T.R.: There will be certain limitations, but we will get things done. If we face certain limitations, we will pursue it down to the next administration and make it for the long-term. That doesn’t mean we’ll forget about something.

R.T.: I don’t just want to throw words out here, but accountability … and honesty are three things we … If we do not know, we will absolutely admit that we are not experts in this. We will reach out for help. Helping us in a matter of helping you guys. We are here to serve you. Through the interviews and debates, even though (Rossi) made some pretty bad comments about (Angie Pati) in the very first debate, we have been very public and open about our stance on that. When there is an apology to be made, we make it more than once. We want people to understand that we are very open-minded people. If you have a bad comment about us, please reach out. We thrive on that. On our Facebook page, for every one-star review, we immediately reach out. We want to know what we can do better.

T.R.: Even at the debate, after every segment we shook hands. Even at the end, we talked about the segment. If we felt it was a little rough, we said, ‘Hey, that was a little rough. Let’s not take it personally.’ And I shook hands with (Franco). Even after the debate, I went up (Pati), shook her hand and apologized. I said the same thing to James. I want to work with people. Just because they are our opponents doesn’t mean we can’t have a working relationship with them. Going back to last year’s campaign, there were allegations made. People were campaigning in computer clusters. Fine here. Fine there. And we’re not a part of that. So that shows you that we can abide by the bylaws and by the rules. And like our campaign, it will be a clean administration.

R.T.: And our management style can help, like we talked about in the debate. Currently, we are obliged by the SA bylaws and constitution that we have to hold office hours 20 hours and 15 hours respectively if elected. This is something that will … a lot of change. … We’re not going to do closed office hours in the basement of the Schine Student Center. That’s not going to work. No one is going to meet you in the basement. A lot of us don’t even know of the existence of SA, so that doesn’t help. Secondly, it’s in the basement. The weather is great, so we will go out there and be on the Quad, be in Bird Library or outside of Hendricks Chapel. We will really go out and talk to people. Each week we will do a one-minute survey with different students randomly. We will do surveys. We will do polls. We will actually try to understand things we should really work on. We will work with our cabinet and work on things on top of what we talked about in our campaign. Every week there are going to be more initiatives.

The D.O. Editorial Board: What are your plans in the case you are not elected?

T.R.: I care about safety and I care about a lot of issues on this campus. If we are not elected, the first thing I would do is set up a meeting or phone call and we’re going to talk about how we can come together on certain initiatives. We can talk about combining certain initiatives and talk about the things we want to do. If you support that, we can get behind them to endorse (Franco). I would really like to be involved with safety. I would like to work to help off-campus and Marshall Street and be involved in any way I can. Does that mean I’m in SA? We’ll see what the future holds. But we definitely want to make a difference on this campus, whether we’re elected or not.

R.T.: First of all, we would absolutely support whoever is elected. In the last debate, we all touched base on some of the things that really matter to both of us: mental health, safety, academic integrity and such. These are things we should really work on over any kind of system we can provide … The second thing would be, I personally spoke with (Kantrowitz), I would absolutely continue to work with her. It’s something that’s very close to my heart. This is a close election, but how am I getting threats to my personal safety? That means something is wrongs and there’s a lack of transparency. Reach out to us and let us know any problems you have. Do it publicly. I’d be very happy. But these people … It hurts. If I were not running for office, I would take it personally. … I talked to a DPS officer about how some of us would be very devastated … So this is something I would continue to work with them very closely on.

The D.O. Editorial Board: Going back to the previous administration, (Eric Evangelista) and (Joyce LaLonde), what are some things that they’ve done that you would like to see continue if you’re elected?

R.T.: The off-campus cameras right now. … It’s something that we really want to do. Last night, if you walk down Euclid — you don’t want to walk there. It’s very unsafe. I don’t want to walk there. No one wants to walk there. So this is something they ought to change. And a lot of students live there. So how are you supposed to thrive academically or psychologically if you’re not even in a safe environment? It’s a basic physiological need. … So that is something we will continue on.

T.R.: The bicycle share Program and Mental Health Awareness Week. When the president is elected, it’s a very important time. It’s called the transition period. We will work very closely with the (Evangelista). They have initiatives that they want the next administration to tackle. We are not going to get rid of initiatives that students care about. We want a representation of the student body. There are initiatives that can be streamlined and things that can be worked on a little bit more. Maybe there is not as much care for them or representation. We can look at reforming those. But we will keep a lot of things and we will expand.

R.T.: Funding is something that we ought to strive for as well. Currently, we understand that the cash flow of the administration is pretty low. Everyone keeps meeting with the current president. Tuition went up by another 4 percent. The student activity fee is now going to be $309. With over 15,000 students on campus, including (State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry)  and SU, we have more than $4 million … and I have no idea how they spend that money at all. The response we got: In that $4 million, we got $130,000 for SA. And in that $130,000, we actually can spend around $30,000. So $100.000 is spent on important things that we will need to continue, which is the university readership program that provide us with free newspapers and other initiatives that we have of DPS. We will absolutely find a way to increase the cash flow without asking student to pay a lot more. It’s simply stupid. You’re paying $309 and most of the us don’t even get that value back at the end of the semester if you don’t attend over 6 activities organized by SA. So this is something that we should really do.

T.R.: Another thing is the vice president and president get a stipend. I don’t want to accept the students’ money. I’ll put that back into the community. Another thing SA tries to do is team building events and retreats. … So there are things that we can cut. But we can get more money. But as (Tin) said, we need to really work out the finances and see if we can get more because we are a student government and we want to pursue initiatives for you.

The D.O. Editorial Board: In the first debate, you both talked about a mental health program you wanted to implement with graduate students. Could you please tell us more about that?

R.T.: In the first debate we did not get a chance to sit down with Joyce, and we still haven’t. But she sent us the mental health report, which we read, a 50-page document in detail. I think that program really outlined that they’re going to do is a pure listening service, which is something that was also outlined in the last debate by (Pati) — something that we both agree on and we should absolutely work on. Pretty much, you either work with certified psychologists or students in (David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics) with the relative training so that students get a 24/7 hotline or text hotline that’s a student-to-student, peer-to-peer service that you can get. We understand that the Counseling Center is only Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. That doesn’t help you if you get assaulted on a Friday night. You don’t want to spend your whole weekend being miserable about it and have no one to talk to. This is why the peer listening is so important. It’s an immediate response to an immediate threat that you have received.

T.R.: And just to go off them, it’s a peer listening service that’s very similar to what our opponents are saying. What we want to do is one of the cornerstones of what I have outlined for the long-term: intrinsic engagement. Based on your major, if you can have experience that betters the community using your knowledge because that is what we have on this campus, we have amazing knowledge. If you’re a psychology major, maybe you can be involved in that peer listening service and you can go through the training and that would help you, that would be a great intrinsic experience for you. It would also help the student with mental health because the last thing you want to deal with when you feel anxious or depressed, and we all have had those experiences. You don’t want to get out of bed and you don’t want to go to the Counseling Center. You want to just make the call and you want someone to come to your door. That’s what we want to facilitate.

R.T.: In addition to that, Tyler just talked about how different students or different majors can utilize their skill set, which I agree with him completely. In Whitman, we have to comply with 80 hours of community service in order to graduate. One of the things that we’ve done very successfully is pairing accounting major students to do the taxes for local business and people in need. This is April, and most of us shouldn’t pay taxes now, as we are still in college. But if you’re aware that March and April are the tax months, you know that you have to do your taxes. You have to fill out your tax form and a lot of people simply did not know how to do that, so we pair accounting majors with them. For broadcasting, designing, or graphics majors, if a local business needs help to get a clean, cheap solution as to how to grow your business within the community, pair up with students. They can use that not only as an internship to gain more real-life experience but I think that can really give back to the community. Giving back is something we would really like to focus on. I think the SA should focus a lot more on not only the growth of student body, but also advocating the growth of local service to the community. Look at Syracuse, it is one of the poorest towns in New York state. If you go downtown on the westside it’s just horrible. But we have soup kitchens, we have rescue missions, there is a lot more that we can do. I know that Greek Life is very involved in that, but they do it on more of a national scale. I would love for that to be more local. If we can utilize our majors and skillsets to benefit the local community in Syracuse, why not? We can also learn from that.

T.R.: That can be any major. It could be an art major that can help out with city art. There’s a reconstruction of I-81. Maybe civil engineering majors can have some type of say. Do anything we can to utilize our knowledge to give back to the community.

The D.O. Editorial Board: One of the issues at the first debate was the “sanctuary campus” status. Beyond whether SU should designate itself as one, what is your stance?

T.R.: I want to clarify that. I’m here to represent the student body. Whatever the student body wants, that is what we will pursue. I actually think it should go under referendum, because I think it is a huge issue that needs to be approved by everyone and to be transparent about it. Transparency is key.

R.T.: I think the problem is (Rossi) lacked understanding of what the “sanctuary” bill was in the first debate. Absolutely underprepared. And we really had to apologize for that. We were screwing it up. … From what we gather, in small talk with (Syverud) … he told us there could be implications to federal funding that is being directed to SU and ESF. … It’s pretty big money and is something we do not wish to jeopardize. In the comment (Rossi) made in the first debate, about how we were going to become a target, that was very poorly phrased. Now, we have reached out to the current SA and we understand what it really is. … But I guess the core value of the sanctuary campus bill that SA told us, is that this is more of a symbolic gesture to provide the vibe to students on campus that they know they are in a very safe space. Now I agree with that completely. Do we need a bill to do that though? We just all need to have a mutual respect. … The bill was merely acting as a symbolic gesture than whether it should have been approved or not to affect any funding. Why don’t we better utilize our time to sort out initiatives that can really bring students together as a community and promote respect?

T.R.: We want to make sure everyone feels face on campus. Documented or undocumented, it doesn’t matter. Every student has value. … Whether it’s a sanctuary campus bill or any bill, what we want to make sure is that there is transparency. When a bill fails, for example, … SA should hold an open forum with the chancellor because there are passionate students on this campus and say, ‘This is what happened with the bill. This is why it fell through. Here’s what we’re working to do to make sure we can get stuff done.’ And that’s it.

Comments

Top Stories