Syracuse football depth chart: Week 1 vs. Colgate

Jacob Greenfeld | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse's Week 1 depth chart was released on Monday.

Syracuse released its Week 1 depth chart Monday morning, four days before the Orange opens the regular season against Colgate at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.

Here are some of the most significant notes on the first pecking order released by SU since April 21.

— True freshman Kendall Coleman is starting at defensive end opposite redshirt sophomore Chris Slayton. Coleman is the only true freshman on the first team and Slayton, at 296 pounds, moves from defensive tackle to defensive end where he’s listed above nicked-up redshirt freshman Jake Pickard.

— Maryland grad transfer Amba Etta-Tawo is starting at wide receiver opposite incumbent starter Steve Ishmael. Etta-Tawo is listed in front of redshirt senior Alvin Cornelius.

— Sophomore Cody Conway will start at left tackle after beating out Michael Lasker for the spot in training camp. Lasker is actually listed as the backup right tackle, while redshirt junior Jon Burton is behind Conway.

— Sophomore Dontae Strickland, who played the hybrid in Tim Lester’s offense last season, is listed as the first-string running back ahead of Jordan Fredericks. Fredericks finished the season as the starter last year and has worked to drop his weight closer to 200 pounds, but Strickland gets the nod against Colgate.

Other notes

— Junior Jonathan Thomas will start at strong-side linebacker ahead of Ted Taylor.

Ervin Philips will return kicks and Brisly Estime will return punts.

— Redshirt freshman Sterling Hofrichter takes over for Riley Dixon as Syracuse’s punter