Meet Monday

Freshman finds fulfillment in philanthropic endeavours

Prince Dudley | Staff Photographer

Freshman Ally Toolan hopes to get involved with many campus groups including CitrusTV and joining a sorority.

Ally Toolan grew up giving to charities and going on small mission trips to help those in need, but it wasn’t until her senior year of high school that she got serious. She said she thrives on giving back and donating her time to help the less fortunate.

The New Jersey native grew up in Branchburg, attending Catholic schools her entire life. Her former high school, Mount Saint Mary Academy, enabled her to see community service in action, which sparked her interest to get more involved with helping others.

Watching her high school friends make a difference in people’s lives prompted Toolan to join the executive board of her high school. As the director of communications, she helped plan numerous school events, including pep rallies, school dances, freshman orientation and movie nights. Fundraising from all of the various events raised $5,000, which went toward building a school in Zambia.

“Mercy sisters want to educate wherever they can,” Toolan said. “We’re in a Catholic community and our goal isn’t just to teach Catholicism per se, it’s to teach in general and make sure everyone has an education.”

Although Toolan’s background in communications put Syracuse on her radar, it wasn’t always first on her list. She was interested in schools with a warmer climate, but after being accepted into the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications as an honor student, she knew she couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

For now, Toolan is undeclared but said she plans on pursuing a degree in television, radio and film. Toolan hopes to get involved with CitrusTV and join a sorority so she has the opportunity to participate in as many philanthropic organizations as possible.

“We got plaques at graduation for our service and it just kind of hit me, like we did a really good thing and it’s overwhelming in a good way,” Toolan said.