NCAA Investigations

NCAA removes football and men’s basketball from North Carolina’s amended notice of allegations

Logan Reidsma | Senior Staff Photographer

North Carolina's notice of allegations from the NCAA has no mention of men's basketball or football.

Any mention of football and men’s basketball has been removed from North Carolina’s amended notice of allegations from the NCAA. The first notice of allegations mentioned both programs, however, no one in either program or the program itself was accused of wrongdoing.

The first notice of allegations was released in May of 2015 and, according to a UNC press release, the university reported new information to the NCAA last August, which is why the allegations notice was revised.

“We are carefully reviewing the amended notice of allegations resulting from our joint investigation with the NCAA and will respond with facts and evidence that present a full picture of our case,” said Bubba Cunningham, UNC’s director of athletics said in the release. “The University takes these allegations extremely seriously. We remain committed to cooperating fully with the NCAA while working tirelessly to secure a fair outcome for Carolina.”

UNC faces five Level I violations in the amended notice of violations, which is considered the most serious level of violations. Here are the five:

1. The first stems from a former women’s basketball academic counselor providing impermissible benefits.

2. The second comes from a former student services manager in the African and Afro-American studies department failing to help the NCAA when it requested information related to the potential violations.

3. A third allegation resulted from a professor refusing to be interviewed by the NCAA about potential violations despite five requests.

4. The NCAA also alleged that there was not enough monitoring of the African and Afro-American studies department, which allegedly ran courses structured as lecture classes as independent studies. The women’s basketball academic counselor accused of providing impermissible benefits in the first allegation was also alleged to not have been monitored properly.

5. The first and fourth allegations resulted in a fifth allegation of lack of institutional control.

The university also announced in the release that it received the document on Monday and that the university will respond to the NCAA within 90 days of receiving the document, the NCAA’s deadline for a response.

This is the fourth NCAA investigation into an Atlantic Coast Conference program in the last five years. Syracuse, Miami, North Carolina and Louisville have all faced investigations. UofL’s men’s basketball team sat out the 2016 postseason after a recruiting sex scandal.

UNC Notice of Allegations by Chris