Top 10

Top 10 Valentine’s Day date ideas

As the day of the year that makes the emotional spectrum go haywire, Valentine’s Day is an occasion for many people to pull out all the stops and make the day a special one. In fact, the average annual Valentine’s Day spending is about $13,290,000,000, a number that bears responsibility for a spike in the GDP. Take a minute to absorb how your scheduled romance can bolster the economy.

College students are on tight budgets, so ideal dates are economical yet succeed in sweeping a partner off his or her feet. For many of us, Valentine’s Day can be celebrated in only so many ways at a restricted number of places. Here at SU, the snow globe that is campus is a separate battle altogether. But talking with a few students around campus, The Daily Orange has found many students here have their own ideas to make Feb. 14 perfect.

The Movies

Sharing a bucket of buttery popcorn and enjoying a movie together has almost never failed to deliver. Even though the tickets are on the pricey side this time of week, Omar Hamidi, a freshman in the iSchool, said agreeing on a movie to watch is definitely a good way to share your interests and have a fun date.

Lemon Grass

It’s a nice restaurant, a good selection of Asian delicacies and great ambience. Saif Ali Mirzi, a freshman computer science major, agreed that this is an excellent outing to splurge on. A posh, off-campus date would certainly make for a memorable experience for all parties involved.

Recess Coffee

An impeccable escape from the biting cold, Recess Coffee is a lauded venue to curl up and enjoy some steaming coffee with a good companion. Kim Hunt, a freshman film major, said Recess Coffee’s warm and inviting atmosphere is perfect to enjoy warm snacks and coffee, which is served till midnight.

Unique Tea House

Another warm getaway, this is an all-time favorite of bubble tea lovers like freshman industrial design major, Lauren Lin. Conveniently located on Marshall Street, the bubble tea shop would make for an inexpensive casual date with lots of flavors to choose from.

Bleu Monkey Café

As freshman Sophia Pennachio says, Bleu Monkey Café down on Marshall “transports you to another place.” What more can two people ask for in this weather? Once again within easy reach of frozen students, Bleu Monkey has an exquisite assortment of sushi, noodles and rice with generous servings of warmth.

Destiny USA

Adding to the list of warm eateries, the Cheesecake Factory at Destiny USA is armed with a versatile menu and of course its signature cheesecakes. Alternatively, Sam Cook, a freshman information management and technology major, suggested a date to Panera Bread in Destiny — a perfect spot for a sweet tooth plus one.

The Planetarium in MOST

Syracuse’s Museum of Science and Technology has an Apollo Star Projector, an undeniably riveting experience for a date, Hannah Riddle, a freshman psychology and political science major, said. If you’re looking for a casual night under a starry sky but are also stuck in the tundra, this place fits the bill.

Ice-skating at Tennity Ice Pavilion

Picture this: Holding hands and attempting to skate across the rink, stumbling and falling in a heap. Giggles and laughter are aboud at this South Campus retreat. Kamm Lemay, a senior in mathematics and psychology, said it’s considerably romantic to ice-skate with a date, if you know how to do it without spinning your way to a twisted ankle.

Skytop Quarry

Kyle Turchick, a junior environmental science major, said this graffitied space is perfect for a unique date, full of gravel-laden paths and “art installations.” Fun fact, if you walk towards the end of the quarry, you will notice that what seemed like a red dot from the distance is actually a giant heart painted on a boulder. It’s a score for unusual dates everywhere.

Rosamond Gifford Zoo

For freshman writing and rhetoric major Halle Cook, a successful date naturally has some elephants and penguins in it. Walking through this 43-acre wonderland and sharing the excitement of seeing a White-Lipped Deer will make this an unforgettable bonding experience.

There you have it, a carefully compiled list of dates to appeal to the most versatile. Pick up your cards and candy, fill the cold air with s warm dates and make your donation to the economy this Valentine’s Day.