Nutrition

Rockett: The importance of eating the right nutrients

In college, thoughts about nutrition are usually restricted to the class NSD 225: “Nutrition in Health,” what’s edible at the dining hall, the easiest foods to eat between classes or practice and what restaurants deliver late at night. Consequently, missing out on vital nutrients like vitamins and minerals becomes routine. Vitamins and minerals regulate important chemical reactions and processes in the body. One’s ability to do well, pursue your passion and live a full life require a lot of energy—energy that may be lacking if one isn’t fueling their body with proper nutrients.

The “If It Fits Your Macros” (IIFYM) diet stresses the importance of nutrients you need the most of on a daily basis. These nutrients are your macros, best known as carbs, protein and fat. This diet has a 40-40-20 set-up, which means splitting your personalized calorie allotment into 40 percent carbohydrates, 40 percent protein and 20 percent fat. Those who advocate for this diet say it’s most effective for muscle growth, fat burning and consistent energy levels.

Margaret A. Voss, Ph.D. and professor at Syracuse University, says that IIFYM is one of the most reasonable fad diets out, but participants must use nutritional common sense. Ideally the diet might work — however, its major claim may be misleading.

“A cheeseburger might fit the required macro distribution of 40-40-20, but it certainly does not contain all of the micronutrients required to promote health,” Voss said. “If a person chooses healthy proteins and fats and nutrient packed carbohydrate sources, this could be a fantastic diet.”

Just because a certain food may fit into the 40-40-20 rule, doesn’t mean it boasts nutritional benefits. Balance is an important nutritional principle, and the IIFYM diet overlooks the importance of micronutrients in health. Without micronutrients, your body lacks the ability to effectively and efficiently provide energy from carbohydrates, proteins and fat to working muscles. Voss said micronutrients are the key to ensuring you feel your best.

“Micronutrients are the chemicals that regulate our macronutrient pathways. It is a mistake to think about metabolic fuel sources with no consideration for the coenzymes and factors that allow you to burn those fuel sources,” Voss said. “You have to have all components of the necessary chemical equation to run the human machine efficiently.”

If you hope to meet your body’s nutritional needs, keep in mind the importance of the following selected vitamins and minerals:

Iron:

Iron is necessary to transport oxygen and carry away CO2. Iron is also needed to build muscle protein to increase oxygen availability for contraction.

Sources: Lean red meat, seafood, poultry, beans, lentils, leafy greens and whole grains. To enhance iron absorption from plants, eat with vitamin C sources (citrus fruits, strawberries, bell peppers, tomatoes, broccoli).

Deficiency: Fatigue, weakness, headache, decreased work capacity and body temperature problems.

Copper:

Copper works with iron to help the body form red blood cells. It also helps keep blood vessels, nerves and immune system healthy.

Sources: Oysters, shrimp, almonds, cashews, lentils, whole-grain breads, cereals and dark chocolate.

Deficiency: Anemia and shortage of white blood cells leading to increased infections.

Vitamin D:

Vitamin D regulates the enzyme tyrosine hydroxylase, which produces hormones that are essential to control mood, stress and energy. Vitamin D helps absorb calcium, and muscles need it to move.

Sources: Fatty fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel. Also cheese and milk.

Deficiency: Bone pain, muscle weakness, fatigue, decreased energy and loss of interest in activities or hobbies that used to be enjoyable.

Vitamin B12:

Vitamin B12 maintains nerve and blood cell health.

Sources: Beef, clams, fish, meat, eggs, milk and other dairy products.

Deficiency: Lack of vitamin B12 decreases the amount of red blood cells in the body, which in turn reduces oxygen flow to your body’s tissues and organs. Deficiency can also cause fatigue and weakness, loss of appetite and numbness and tingling in hands and feet.

Khija Rockett is a senior nutrition major. Her column appears weekly in pulp. She can be reached at kmrocket@syr.edu.