Thirsty Thursday

Bell’s Best Brown Ale has malty, sweet lingering aftertaste

Lukas Halloran | Staff Photographer

With a 5.8 percent ABV, Bell’s Best Brown Ale smelled of sweet caramel and tasted even better according to Thirsty Thursday's reviewer Clayton Dyer.

I realized this week that we are in an odd part of the season when it comes to beer. I could not yet commit to a chocolate stout or porter because it was not quite yet winter, but I also was not sold on an IPA because of the dropping temperature and changing leaves. I had also had a number of pumpkin ales in the past few weeks and decided to take a break.

Fortunately, I stumbled upon Bell’s Best Brown Ale, the perfect in-between when it comes to fall beers. I was already familiar with the Michigan-based brewery because of its Two-Hearted Ale, one of my all-time favorites, but had yet to try the brown ale.

Brown ales are perfect for the casual drinker — not too hoppy but also not too thick, they traditionally emphasize the rich malts used to brew them.

The Bell’s Best Brown Ale had a dark brown color to it and poured to form a thick, fluffy head. The beer smelled of sweet caramel and tasted even better. What stood out the most for me about the Bell’s Best Brown was its pleasantly silky texture. The beer had a very full flavor that lingered on the tongue and went down easy and smooth. The Best Brown Ale’s caramel flavor was not too sweet, and was balanced out nicely by hints of cocoa. True to brown ale form the beer had a noticeably strong, malty flavor but was not too heavy.

Because of its sweet and malty flavor, the Bell’s Best Brown Ale would pair nicely with char-grilled steak, gouda cheese and sweet potatoes.

Just as the bottle notes, the beer is perfect to “take us on a colorful tour into winter.” Although frequently overlooked, brown ales have a lot to offer when it comes to an alternative to lagers, stouts and IPAs.

A moderate ABV of 5.8 percent, sweet flavor and easy drinkability, the Bell’s Best Brown Ale is the perfect beer for the casual drinker. With the doldrums of another Syracuse winter right around the corner, now is the perfect time to give this tasty brown ale a try.