Beat writers predict outcome of Scott Shafer’s last game as head coach against Boston College

Logan Reidsma | Phtoto Editor

Scott Shafer will coach his last game as Syracuse's head coach in the Carrier Dome today. See if our beat writers think he'll go out with a win

Scott Shafer is coaching his last game as Syracuse’s (3-8, 1-6 Atlantic Coast) head coach against Boston College (3-8, 0-7). The Orange take on the Eagles at 12:30 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.

Here’s how our beat writers think Shafer and his staff will be sent off:

Sam Blum (7-4)
Syracuse 17, Boston College 14
Stand with Shafer

Syracuse might not be the more talented team on the field today. They might not be the more talented team on the field most days. But the Orange is winning on Saturday for Scott Shafer.

Jesse Dougherty (8-3)
Boston College 27, Syracuse 17
Closing time

Sure, it would be nice and probably even logical that Syracuse comes out guns blazing to honor its coaches. But don’t you think we would have already seen that kind of buckle-down, there’s-no-tomorrow grit if the players had it in them? I’m not saying they won’t play hard in Scott Shafer and staff’s final game, but I’m saying that it ultimately won’t matter. On an emotional day, the Orange loses nine straight by being the same team that lost eight straight.

Matt Schneidman (9-2)
Syracuse 28, Boston College 17
Final stand

This game isn’t about Boston College’s top-ranked defense in the ACC. Nor is it about a Syracuse defense that has struggled mightily all season. It’s Scott Shafer’s last game as head coach along with all his assistants. And most of SU’s contributors were recruited by current staff. The Orange comes out with a win not to salvage a fourth victory on the season, but to send the coaches that brought them here out on top.

Paul Schwedelson (10-1)
Syracuse 27, Boston College 13
Good ‘ole rump kicking

Syracuse does to Boston College what Scott Shafer said his wife does to him when he’s not enthusiastic enough — kick them in the rump. On Saturday, SU’s players “fight the good fight” — whatever that means — and the Shafer era ends on a much more positive note than the rest of his time as SU’s head coach. It’s the players that have been a part of the last two recruiting classes – see Jordan Fredericks, Ervin Philips and Steven Clark – that carry the Orange to victory.