Ice Hockey

Syracuse comes up short in 5-4 loss to No. 10 Northeastern

Syracuse’s Melissa Piacentini scored twice in the third period, but both goals weren’t enough to come back against No. 10 Northeastern (2-0-1) as Syracuse (0-2-0) fell, 5-4, in its first away game of the season.

Northeastern’s Kendall Coyne began the game with two consecutive goals. She struck first just 50 seconds into the game, with the encore following four minutes later.

Nicole Ferrara scored her first goal of the season in familiar territory. She found the net with 13 minutes left in the first period, putting the Orange within one goal.

Both teams were able to take advantage of penalties in the first period. Northeastern’s Shelby Herrington scored a power-play goal with eight minutes left, while Syracuse’s Megan Quinn responded three minutes later with a goal of her own on the power play.

Herrington would score her second goal with 2:25 remaining in the second period. Once again, the Orange was down by two points heading into the third period. And once again, Melissa Piacentini would bring Syracuse back into the contest. Piacentini scored just seven seconds into the final period, making it 4-3.

But with 4:45 left to go, Northeastern’s Taytum Clairmont scored on a power-play goal. This was Syracuse’s fourth power-play goal allowed this season.

Piacentini would score again with just over three minutes left, but Syracuse was unable to tie it in the final minutes.

The Orange will travel to Durham, New Hampsire to face the UNH on Saturday. Syracuse goalie Jenn Gilligan transferred from UNH to Syracuse concluding her sophomore year. The Orange tied UNH, 2-2, last season at Tennity Ice Pavilion.