SU holds lecture, summit on campus inclusion, diversity

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Kathy Obear, who is an organizational development consultant, addressed Syracuse University students and faculty about campus inclusion at her keynote lecture Friday and the Division of Student Affair’s Student Diversity Summit on Saturday.

When Angelica Rodriguez came to Syracuse University from Colombia, she thought her English proficiency would be enough to pursue her degree in broadcast and digital journalism.

She said she was mistaken.

But when Rodriguez, a junior broadcast and digital journalism and international relations dual major, heard about Alliance For Change President Kathy Obear’s lecture on diversity on college campuses, she was excited because, she said, there is a need for more resources that will make international students feel more comfortable.

Obear, who is an organizational development consultant, addressed SU students and faculty about campus inclusion at her keynote lecture Friday and the Division of Student Affair’s Student Diversity Summit on Saturday. Obear led a retreat in August for SU administrators that led to the creation of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s work group on diversity and inclusion.

“When I heard about this lecture, I was so excited,” Rodriguez said with a laugh. “More than excited, I was just relieved to know that finally, someone is looking for better resources that will help students like me.”

During her 30-minute lecture, Obear focused on using what she calls an “inclusion lens,” which makes people think about the decisions, policies and practices they make in a different way. It makes you think about how they can vantage some and disadvantage others, or even unintentionally put blocks or barriers in front of people in marginalized groups, she said. Obear also stressed the importance of making the effort to contribute individually to diversity.

“I really want to empower people to think, ‘In our own sphere of influence, how can I do my part?’” Obear said.

Rodriguez said students in the S.I. Newhouse School of Communications need a proficiency in English that is almost native. Her professors knew she was an international student, but Rodriguez said she felt they didn’t know how to handle her language deficiencies.

She added that her teachers didn’t know where else to send her except SU’s Writing Center and she didn’t feel they knew how to help her with the journalistic style of writing, which is what is needed to pursue her major.

Obear encouraged students to talk to their deans, professors and even the chancellor when they are having issues. Obear said SU should hold an open forum once a semester to talk about the systemic changes that are happening. The forum would help to keep a constant conversation about creating inclusions, student support and success across a full range of differences, Obear said.

At the Student Diversity Summit on Saturday, Obear gave a short presentation and had one-on-one talks with students and faculty members. She discussed a resounding trend that she has noticed across campuses.

“It’s very common for campuses to have a critical incident happen that makes a lot of folks talk about a number of dynamics that are the gap between where we are and where we want to be,” Obear said. “However, as soon as the incident eases out, change stops happening.”

Obear added that from her conversations with Syverud and other campus leaders, it seemed they were all willing to engage each other and look at the underprivileged and marginalized identities on campus to recognize what their responsibilities are and should be.

Obear also stressed the inclusion of faculty members. She said faculty and staff should reflect the students in all their differences in order to meet the students’ needs and serve the full breadth of campus. These differences include disability status, race, sex, gender identity, class, background, citizenship and immigration status among others.