Editorial Board

Indigenous awareness should be promoted at Syracuse University

In order to increase awareness of Syracuse’s strong geographic ties to indigenous culture, the university community should work to host events that heighten the visibility of local indigenous groups.

A significant portion of Syracuse University is likely not aware that the city of Syracuse is geographically located near Onondaga Nation territory and neighbors the Oneida Nation.

These ties are a significant factor in the push by a sector of the SU community to recognize Indigenous Peoples’ Day in place of Columbus Day, an idea that has garnered more than 500 signatures on its Change.org petition.

Appropriate student organizations and academic departments should work to promote indigenous visibility on the SU campus by hosting events related to indigenous culture. To host these events would increase recognition of the relationship between Syracuse and local indigenous peoples.

Although SU does not formally recognize Columbus Day, there are efforts that can be made on behalf of the university community to increase awareness of indigenous presence in the Syracuse region.

There is an undergraduate enrollment of 350 Native American students at the university, according to the SU admissions website.

However, some members of The Daily Orange Editorial board feel that these efforts need to be taken one step further in that SU should formally recognize Indigenous Peoples’ Day on its academic calendar, but that classes should continue to be held on Oct. 12. These members feel that for the university to recognize the holiday is to respectfully and effectively acknowledge indigenous presence in central New York on behalf of the SU community.

Others disagree, citing that because SU is a private institution and because it does not recognize Columbus Day, it does not have an obligation to recognize Indigenous Peoples’ Day.

Despite these differences, it is mutually agreed that the SU student body is generally uninformed of the relationship between the university and local indigenous communities, which is something that can be addressed through a communal effort to increase awareness of indigenous presence.