ACC Roundup

ACC Roundup Week 8: Quadruple overtime, a last-second field goal and more

Bryan Cereijo | Staff Photographer

Pittsburgh kicker Chris Blewitt his a game-winning 24-yard field goal as time expired to give the Panthers a 23-20 win over Syracuse.

All Week 8 games were intraconference.

Forcing five turnovers helped North Carolina (6-1, 3-0 Atlantic Coast) beat visiting Virginia (2-5, 1-2), 26-13, Saturday.

Boston College (3-5, 0-5) entered the game with the fewest rushing yards allowed per game in the country. But the Eagles’ vaunted defense couldn’t do enough to stop Louisville (3-4, 2-2). The Cardinals won, 17-14, to keep BC winless in conference.

On three of its first four drives, North Carolina State (5-2, 1-2) scored touchdowns. Two of the drives took one play, one took three and none lasted longer than one minute. For the first time in 14-years, the Wolfpack won in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, beating Wake Forest (3-5, 1-4), 35-17.

Miami (4-3, 1-2) suffered its worst loss in the program’s 90-year history when No. 6 Clemson (7-0, 4-0) came to Coral Gables, Florida and shutout the Hurricanes en route to a 58-0 blowout. The Tigers had 42 points at halftime and quarterback Deshaun Watson sat most of the second half.

Quarterback Thomas Sirk ran over a defender at the goal-line to convert the two-point conversion and give No. 23 Duke (6-1, 3-0) a four-overtime win over Virginia Tech (3-5, 1-3) by a score of 45-43.

In the nightcap, No. 9 Florida State (6-1, 4-1) fell in dramatic fashion when Georgia Tech (3-5, 1-4) blocked a 56-yard field goal attempt with time expiring and returned it for a touchdown and a 22-16 win.

No. 25 Pittsburgh (6-1, 4-0) held off Syracuse (3-4, 1-2) when the Orange squandered a 17-13 halftime lead and eventually fell 23-20 on a late field goal. After a helmet-to-helmet hit, Eric Dungey struggled to jumpstart the offense and the defense had another late breakdown. Even one of the lone bright spots, Steve Ishmael, had a crucial misplay.

You can read all The Daily Orange’s coverage of the game here.