ACC Roundup

ACC Roundup Week 6: A 3-0 win, a Sunshine State battle and more

Jim Damaske | Tampa Bay Times

USF's Tyre McCants breaks free for a long run at the end of the first quarter.

Brenden Motley threw three second-quarter touchdown passes to Isaiah Ford on the way to a 28-13 win for Virginia Tech (3-3, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) over North Carolina State (4-2, 0-2).

No. 6 Clemson (5-0, 2-0) used a balance offensive attack to rack up 538 yards and 43 points as the Tigers handed Georgia Tech (2-4, 0-3), which scored 24 points, its third straight ACC loss in a four-game losing streak.

In a battle of Sunshine State schools, Dalvin Cook of No. 12 Florida State (5-0, 3-0) rushed for 222 yards and scored three touchdowns — including a 23-yard scamper which put the Seminoles up for good as it beat the Miami Hurricanes (3-2, 0-1), 29-24.

Pittsburgh (4-1, 2-0) held off a fourth-quarter comeback attempt by Virginia (1-4, 0-1) within the last minute to preserve its second consecutive win.

A 25-yard, third quarter field goal by Wake Forest (3-3, 1-2) was all the Demon Deacons needed to squeak by Boston College (3-3, 0-3) in a 3-0 win.

Winners:

Duke (5-1, 2-0) failed to score a touchdown last week, but got the win. This week: Different Duke, same result. The Blue Devils scored five touchdowns en route to a 44-3 rout of Army (1-5).

Losers:

Syracuse had two weeks to prepare for a run-heavy South Florida offense after allowing 268 yards on the ground to national power Lousiana State. But the bye week didn’t seem to help Syracuse (3-2, 1-0) as the Orange allowed 282 yards on the ground to South Florida (2-3, 0-1 American Athletic) as the Bulls thwarted a Syracuse comeback attempt to win 45-24. Freshman quarterback Eric Dungey turned in a “wobbly” performance in his first game back from injury.

Read all of The Daily Orange’s coverage of the game here.