Work Wednesday

Work Wednesday: Allison Raymond

Benjamin Wilson | Staff Photographer

Allison Raymond felt overwhelmed at the beginning of her freshman year, to de-stress she began handlettering. Now, she sells her creations on her Etsy shop.

Sophomore Allison Raymond found a positive outlet in hand-lettering after she struggled with the transition from high school to college.

Since then, the advertising and psychology major has turned her hobby into a business, EchoLettering, which she sells on Etsy.

The title was inspired by a quote she found: “Life is an echo — what you send out comes back.”

She wanted her brand to stand for positivity.

“I decided I needed to do something for myself something equally fun and beneficial… I describe it to my friends as an artistic form of design and prioritization,” Raymond said. “I found the whole process very therapeutic and relaxing.”

Since then, Raymond has sold 16 prints from her Etsy shop as well as prints she has sold independently. Her friends and family have been huge supporters of her lettering. Thanks to the support from her friends and family, she’s had the chance to see her work in their homes. She loves seeing how her prints fit into individuals’ decor.

She added that her friends and family have supported her and given her the chance to improve upon her work. Raymond is currently working on pieces for her friend’s sister’s wedding and is looking forward to seeing how her work fits into their special day.

Ultimately, Raymond said she hopes that EchoLettering will not only help to spread positivity, but also serve as a teaching tool. Through her business, she said she wants others to be able to learn about marketing, social media, entrepreneurship and overall management.

“If you’re always unhappy and finding the negatives in your life, you’ll only see negatives,” Raymond said. “And the opposite is true as well.”