Women's Soccer

Late goal downs Syracuse in 1-0 loss to No. 25 UConn

For almost 75 minutes, Syracuse kept up with Connecticut. In that time, the Orange’s back line and goalkeeper Courtney Brosnan kept the Huskies scoreless and SU’s attack registered eight shots on goal.

But late in the 75th minute, Connecticut’s Rachel Hill and Samantha McGuire combined to assist Stephanie Ribeiro on the game’s first and only goal. In a game full of scoring chances for both sides, SU (2-3) never converted and fell 1-0 to No. 25 Connecticut (4-0) at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.

In total, the Orange put eight shots on goal, seven of which came in the first half. Three were off the foot of Alex Lamontagne, and another two came from Eva Gordon. But SU never managed to get the ball past UConn goalie Emily Armstrong.

The Huskies didn’t have much luck against Brosnan, either. In the first 73 minutes, they had six shots on goal, all of which Brosnan stopped. In the 74th minute, Connecticut opted to substitute Ribeiro into the game for Kim Urbanek. That decision paid immediate dividends, when Ribeiro scored her third goal of the season minutes later, giving the Huskies the lead.

It was enough to send Syracuse home with its third loss in four games. SU dropped each of those games by the same score, 1-0. The team finishes its weekend road trip at noon on Sunday, when it will play Buffalo at UB Stadium