University Politics

James Steinberg to step down as Maxwell dean

Courtesy of the Maxwell School

SU announced on Tuesday that James Steinberg, dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, is stepping down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year.

UPDATED: Sept. 1, 2015 at 10:57 p.m.

James Steinberg, dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, is stepping down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year, Syracuse University announced Tuesday.

Steinberg has been the dean of Maxwell since 2011 and came to SU after serving as deputy secretary of state under Hillary Clinton. Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy and Chancellor Kent Syverud will be creating a timetable for the search process for the next Maxwell dean, according to an SU News release.

“Jim has brought even greater recognition and prominence to our distinguished Maxwell School,” Liddy said in the release. “Through his time here, he has graciously shared his vast knowledge and experience in public affairs and public service with our students and faculty. His insights now go with a new generation of public servants looking to impact the world.”

During his time as dean, Steinberg was in charge of many new programs, including the establishment of the Center for Qualitative and Multi-Method Inquiry at Maxwell and the founding of the Aging Studies Institute, a collaboration between the Maxwell School and the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. Steinberg also launched a collaboration between Maxwell and the Center for Strategic and International Studies  in Washington D.C.

Steinberg led Maxwell to the No. 1 ranking in the U.S. News & World Report survey in 2012, according to the SU News release.

The announcement comes one day after the State Department released more than 4,300 emails from Hillary Clinton–Steinberg’s former boss. Steinberg was included on or mentioned in more than 100 of the emails.

Kevin Quinn, SU’s senior vice president for public affairs, said in an email that the emails had nothing to do with Steinberg stepping down. Quinn said Steinberg “had been contemplating this decision for some time.”

“It has been an honor and a privilege to work with so many talented and dedicated people on behalf of this exceptional school,” Steinberg said in the release. “Together we have made great progress, and I look forward to continuing to lend my efforts to the University and the Maxwell School as University Professor in 2016.”