WILC 2015

US announces 3 former SU players to World Indoor Lacrosse Championship roster

Former SU defender Brian Megill (right) was named to the United States roster on Wednesday. He may defend Miles Thompson (left) again when the U.S. faces the Iroquois Nationals on Sept. 18.

The United States announced its roster for the World Indoor Lacrosse Championship next month in Syracuse, which includes three former SU players: forward Casey Powell, defender Joel White and defender Brian Megill.

Powell played for Syracuse from 1995-98 and was a three-time first-team All-American attack and midfielder. He wore SU’s legendary No. 22 and added to the tradition by finishing his career with a then-school record 287 points. He was taken first overall in the 1998 National Lacrosse League draft by the Rochester Knighthawks and was the league’s most valuable player in 2010.

Powell is currently 39 years old and holds the NLL record for most career points by an American.

White was a member of the Orange from 2008-11 and finished his career as Syracuse’s all-time leader with 283 ground balls, 28 points and 18 goals as a defensive player. The two-time captain at SU was a member of Syracuse’s last two teams to win a national championship, which occurred in 2008 and 2009.

For part of this past season, White was the captain of the New England Black Wolves before being traded to the Georgia Swarm. He has played in the NLL since 2012.

Megill graduated from Syracuse in 2013 and his 103 caused turnovers were the most in school history at the time. He’s currently a member of the New England Black Wolves in the NLL. In college, he played several times against Miles and Lyle Thompson, both on the Iroquois Nationals roster, when Syracuse took on Albany. The U.S. will face the Iroquois team on Sept. 18 at 8:30 p.m. at the War Memorial Arena.

The tournament spans from Sept. 18-27 and games will be played at the Carrier Dome, War Memorial Arena and Onondaga Nation Arena.