Arts

Syracuse University alumnae open Apostrophe’s art gallery

Hannah Wagner | Staff Photographer

Allison Kirsh and Holly Wilson prepare for their latest art gallery.

Only a few months after graduation, two Syracuse University 2015 alumnae are putting the finishing touches on Apostrophe’ S, a contemporary art space.

“It could be a little bit of a grammar joke, but apostrophes are also used in contractions… So it — the apostrophe — actually becomes everything in between,” said Allison Kirsch, co-founder of Apostrophe’ S.

“Everything in between” is how Kirsch described “Apostrophe’ S,” the gallery she co-founded with Holly Wilson. Kirsch and Wilson are both 2015 graduates of the College of Visual and Performing Arts’ sculpture program and just months later, have founded an art gallery in Syracuse’s Northside neighborhood. They’re now showing their third exhibit, which started Aug. 26.

The space was formerly a frame shop for 46 years. Kirsch and Wilson began renovating it after they graduated, eventually remodeling the entire building themselves.

83015_P_Apostrophesart2_HannahWagner_SP

Hannah Wagner | Staff Photographer

Just as they recycled and repurposed the outdated shop, they were able to reuse the sculpture and carpentry techniques they learned at SU.

They removed, added and painted the walls and ripped up the “horrible” carpet, creating a messy but cozy studio in the back of the building. The spot has a light, airy and loft-like feel.

The title of the gallery’s first show, “In Violation,” came to life as a result of struggles they faced while reworking the space. When the girls first embarked upon the journey of remodeling the space, they kept receiving notices that they were “In Violation.” Every time they would try to trash the carpet they’d removed, garbage collectors wouldn’t take it.

But rather than getting mad, they got even: They repurposed the trash into art for their soft opening.

Scott Rose, director of local gallery 914Works, described the “In Violation” opening as incredibly successful.

“I was so amazed and pleased at the work,” Rose said. “I mean, they did it all — they did the drywall, they did the manual labor and it’s great.”

Kirsch and Wilson said one of the hardest parts of being a student artist was finding somewhere to feature their art. A lot of galleries charge high prices for artists to install and display work. And what’s more, shows can often take weeks to install, adding to the hefty price tag.

Knowing that prices can be high and space can be scarce, Kirsch and Wilson want students to be able to apply to a real gallery and have their art viewed.

Kirsch and Wilson met during their studies and worked together in their senior year when Kirsch curated a juried exhibition of her peers work. Wilson applied and was accepted as an artist to show work in the exhibition held at 914Works gallery. They now wish to recreate that experience of applying to a real gallery for other students and artists.

Apostrophe’ S is currently holding an open call for artists to submit work for a show called “Elucidating the Obvious.” They described the theme of the show as “finding a way to re-contextualize the mundane.”

It isn’t always easy to get the space ready for exhibitions. They have been asked multiple times if they are moving spaces because between shows the space can appear unfinished and almost unoccupied.

“It’s not because we don’t manage time well, it’s just because we have so much that needs to get done that we have to use every minute,” Kirsch said.

Although they managed to completely remodel the space and put a show up in just one month, there is still work to be done: Finishing touches to a new wall, a new awning for the exterior and removing a relic from the former shop – a ceiling fan that Kirsch frustrated described as the bane of her existence.

Now preparing for their third show — an exhibit showing sculptures and art work created by sculpture artist Brian Giniewski — the two artists hope that the gallery will be seen as more than a practical space.

“Even though this is sort of like a functional object, in and of itself, it’s sort of like an art piece,” Wilson said.

Wilson and Kirsch said they have received support from the university, local artists and directors such as Rose to reach this milestone in their careers. They said Apostrophe’ S is the next step on their way to grad school, but for now, they are continuing preparations for their upcoming shows using every minute because it “always comes down to the wire.”

When it comes down to making ideas into a reality, Rose said artists like Wilson and Kirsch need drive, commitment and ambition.

“Sometimes, I think you just really need to jump in,” Rose said. “And that’s what they did.”