Syracuse announces 4 captains for 2015 season

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Senior quarterback Terrel Hunt was one of four captains head coach Scott Shafer announced through a tweet on Saturday night.

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer announced on Twitter that senior offensive lineman Rob Trudo, sophomore linebacker Zaire Franklin, junior defensive end Luke Arciniega and senior quarterback Terrel Hunt are SU’s captains this season.

Trudo is slated to play center this season after starting nine games at left guard and two at right guard last season. The 6-foot-4, 301-pound center played in all 12 games last season.

The sophomore Franklin is the youngest of the four captains, and last season he led all of SU’s freshmen with 44 tackles. He appeared in all 12 of the Orange’s games last season and started the final three.

Arciniega originally transferred from Sierra College after the 2012 season, and appeared in only four games last season due to a lower-body injury. The NCAA recently granted him two extra years of eligibility ahead of his third season with SU.

Despite an on-field incident last year when Hunt when was ejected for punching a Villanova defender, he was selected as a captain in his final season with SU. He started only five games last season before suffering a season-ending injury against Louisville on October 3.

Syracuse begins its season Friday at home against Rhode Island.