ACC Media Day

Terrel Hunt: ‘I feel like we should definitely get paid some type of stipend’

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Quarterback Terrel Hunt believes he and all other Division-I athletes are deserving of pay for their athletic commitments.

PINEHURST, N.C. — Terrel Hunt believes being a Division-I quarterback is a full-time job. And because of that, he wants a paycheck to validate it.

“I really hope (it’s coming),” Hunt said. “People say, ‘Oh, well you get your education paid for.’ And yeah, we understand that, but we put in hard work for education, so it’s not like we’re just failing school … I feel like we should definitely get paid some type of stipend.”

Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford opened up ACC Media Day on Monday at Pinehurst Resort speaking about autonomy of the top conferences, including the ACC, and how autonomy can eventually improve player benefits.

Hunt — who has one year of eligibility left — said he believed that a stipend shouldn’t be limited to just him and his teammates, but all athletes in Division I. He noted that his job as a quarterback at SU has him working on football upward of six hours per day.

“We’re doing it every day non-stop, and in order to be great, we got to put in the extra work,” Hunt said. “So I feel like you don’t have time to get a job … Sometimes you want to get a job but you can’t because of football.”

Sophomore linebacker Zaire Franklin, who was also at media day, said he’d defer to the NCAA as to whether or not players deserved to get paid or not, but made it clear he wasn’t opposed to making money.

“I think we’d all like to get paid,” Franklin said with a laugh. “If they want to give me money, I’m not going to turn it away.”