Back to school

Stevens: A guide to movie and TV dorm room posters

Courtesy of Universal Studios

These dorm room movie posters say a lot about you.

Sure posters of Bob Marley, Marilyn Monroe and Keep Calm and Carry On hang from a good amount of dorm room walls, but movie and TV posters are where it’s at. These wall decorations actually show your tastes and start great conversations. Here’s a list of movie and TV posters and what they mean for you to hang them up.

1. Pulp Fiction

l-99369

Courtesy of Miramax

pulp-fiction-movie-poster-1994-10203141991

Courtesy of Miramax

Everybody loves Tarantino, and any “Pulp Fiction” poster is great enough to never go stale, no matter how many walls they’re on. Plus with Pulp in the name it has to be good.

2. Breaking Bad

image1

Courtesy of AMC

This is THE show of the last ten years. No other TV character has the power of Walter White, and his face on your dorm room wall means you can quote all the famous lines and probably binged five seasons before catching up for the final 8 episodes.

3. Animal House

Animal_House_poster_College(1)

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

This is the definitive dorm room movie poster. John Belushi is a comedic legend thanks in part to his role in “Animal House,” and the sight of this poster makes anybody want to party.

4. Titanic

Titanic-in-3D-in-1920x1080-Pixel-Jack-and-Rose-Making-the-Most-Typical-Pose-They-Are-Setting-Such-a-Great-Example-TV-Movies-Wallpaper

20th Century Fox / Paramount Pictures

Titanic_poster

20th Century Fox / Paramount Pictures

The first of 20 movies in which Leonardo DiCaprio plays a 20-something year old, Titanic stole the hearts of many. While the debate on whether or not there was space for Jack on the door with Rose will go on forever, there will never be a debate on whether or not a “Titanic” poster deserves space on your wall.

5. Something classic

the-shining

Courtesy of Warner Brothers

cloc4

Courtesy of Warner Brothers

Whether its this “A Clockwork Orange” poster, a “The Shining” screaming poster, or anything that’s pre-1980, you get the credit of having a classic movie poster on your wall. Your love of movies is apparent and your decoration skills are on point.

6. Something Unknown

living wake dvd cover

Courtesy of Axiom Films

Earn some movie buff cred by covering 8 square feet of your wall with something nobody has ever heard of before. Just try not to sound to full of yourself when you describe it to other people.

7. Something from Etsy 

il_570xN.780039480_td7q(1)

Courtesy of Etsy user Cloud9Craftss

These really are the coolest, plus you get a unique spin to your movie poster and your dorm room. These posters cost a few dollars more, but they bring an original spin to your walls.

8. Something Wes Anderson

mzl.elihdqms

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

The_Grand_Budapest_Hotel_Poster

Courtesy of Fox Searchlight Pictures

Are you artsy and creative? If you love Wes Anderson, of course you are. A “Fantastic Mr. Fox” or “The Grand Budapest Hotel” poster lets your roommate know you’re in the upper echelon of movie watching and you “enjoy his unique perspective.”

9. TV show quotes (The Office)

72e892f1678680116adb2861b22c087c(1)

Courtesy of NBC / Universal Studios

Everyone has their favorite comedy show, and everybody’s favorite comedy show has a quotes poster. These are a good reminder to laugh every once and a while when you’re buried in work.

10. TV Show ensemble cast (Lost)

lost1(1)

Courtesy of ABC Studios

Ah, the characters! The multiple seasons! The love triangles, the alliances, and the stories! Ensemble cast shows are some of the best on TV, and all of the characters lined up next to each other for a spot on your wall.

11. Star Wars

star-wars-iv-a-new-hope-poster1

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Everybody loves Star Wars, so this is just an excuse to talk about it with other fans who are just as excited as you are for Episode VII this December. Plus, the artwork on these posters is the inspiration for nearly all movie posters created since. Definitely a classic.

12. Game of Thrones

game-of-thrones-house-sigils-television-poster

Courtesy of HBO

House BBB, House Flint, House Lawrinson, or whatever house you live in this year, you need a GOT poster to let others know spoilers are allowed in your room, because there’s no way you aren’t caught up.

13. Your favorite movie/show

forrest-gump-poster1

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

Lastly, always have a poster for your favorite movie or show. It shows your loyalty, and reminds you how much you really can love a story.

Kyle Stevens is a sophomore advertising major. You can email him at ksteve03@syr.edu or reach him on Twitter at @kstevs_.