Back to school

Back to school shopping: Wireless speakers

Momin Rafi | Asst. Web Editor

These three speaker options will fulfill all of your dorm room music needs.

This is the third in a series of stories that will appear on Fridays on The Daily Orange website until the fall semester starts. The series is designed to help students and parents weigh the prices and benefits of various dorm room necessities and accessories. 

You’re going to want to play a lot of music in your dorm, and you’re going to need a speaker to do it. Maybe you want background music while you’re studying or folding laundry. Or your friends are over and you’re trying to make the “Our Campus” Snapchat story with your group karaoke.

When the time comes to pregame before a night out, you’re definitely going to want something louder than your iPhone. At the same time, though, you don’t want a stereo system that brings your RA knocking. Check out this list of the best speaker options for your dorm room.

$

SoundLogic XT® Rechargeable Wireless Rave Bluetooth Speaker with LED Light Show — $29.98

Pro: The speaker comes with a built-in light show that provides the perfect ambience for pounding shots in your dorm.

Con: The max volume is pretty tame, so if you have a suite or larger housing option, you may find it a bit lacking.

$$

Creative D200 Bluetooth Speaker — $57.99

Pro: The Creative D200 gets really loud while retaining most of the audio quality.

Con: Extended use at high volumes will over time cause the speakers to blow out. If this happens, you may need to replace it by the end of your freshman year,

$$$

Ivation Acoustix All-Terrain Bluetooth Speakers — $99.99

Pro: Have you ever heard of a speaker being “all-terrain?” These speakers are portable. But you can also take the Ivation Acoustic Speakers into the shower without fearing damaging. Bringing this into the shower with you in the morning might be the kick you need to get through the day. They can also be thrown into a pool and will float—and continue to play music.

Con: They cost $100, which is the maximum amount anyone should spend on speakers for their dorm.