Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: 3-star offensive lineman Sam Heckel to choose between Syracuse, NIU at 3 p.m.

Courtesy of Sam Heckel

Sam Heckel poses with Syracuse guards and centers coach Joe Adam. Heckel will announce his college decision at 3 p.m.

Three-star Waukesha West (Wisconsin) High School offensive lineman Sam Heckel tweeted that he will announce his verbal commitment at 3 p.m. and said it’s between Syracuse and Northern Illinois. He visited SU on Thursday, the same day he received an offer.

Heckel said Orange head coach Scott Shafer and guards and centers coach Joe Adam told him there is only one offensive line spot left in the Class of 2016, meaning he would lose his opportunity if another player commits before him.

“I kind of feel pressured just because there’s one spot,” Heckel said. “I don’t think they (SU’s coaching staff) pressure me, but I’m pressuring myself to make the decision quicker than what I would want.”

Heckel also has offers from Illinois, Iowa State, Central Michigan and 19 others according to 247Sports.com, which ranks him as the 80th-best offensive tackle in the Class of 2016 in its composite ranking. He was set to commit to Northwestern about two weeks ago, but the Wildcats didn’t have any space left for another offensive lineman.

Meanwhile, Northern Illinois coaches told Heckel he would have a spot on the team regardless of when he commits. Heckel said at NIU, “I feel like home there because I’ve been there a lot and I think I would have a really good opportunity to play early there.”

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound Heckel said he has been in touch with Cam DeGeorge and Noel Brouse, the Orange’s first two offensive line commits in the 2016 class, and discussed reasons to ch0ose SU with them.

“I liked the facilities and I liked what they had to offer academically-wise too,” Heckel said of Syracuse. “… I liked the (Carrier) Dome a lot, that was really cool. Obviously, you don’t see that everywhere you go.”

If Heckel doesn’t commit soon, he may lose his spot with the Orange and face the same situation he had with Northwestern. As a result, he feels he may be rushing his decision between Syracuse and NIU.

“They’re head-to-head right now,” Heckel said. “It’s going to be a tough decision.”