Fashion

McDonell: Trends solidify New York City’s identity as fashion capital

Alexis McDonell | Staff Writer

New York City residents prove why their city is the nation's fashion capital.

As one of the nation’s fashion capitals, just taking a walk down Main Street in Manhattan submerges you into everything sartorial. From models to bloggers to stylists and designers, fashion follows you as you walk every block.

Being in this world of fashion for over a month now, there are a few trends that I have noticed taking the city by storm. Of course, these trends have trickled down from the runway shows that preceded the hot temperatures and followed the predictions of style gurus.

The first trend I have noticed is the super chunky sandal. That’s right: Birkenstocks are back. And so are the platform, thick-strapped honkers.

At first, I was horrified that these were making a comeback. I’ve always been one to wear the thin strapped, more minimalistic type or leather sandals. But after wearing my first pair with thick straps and squishy bottoms, I was sold. Not only were they more comfortable, the thicker straps actually made it feel like they were going to stay on my feet.

Over the past two years, Normcore, or unisex “average” dressing, has dominated in the fashion world. Dressing for function has beaten dressing for fashion, since function has become fashion. And wearing these sandals contributes to that. They allow you to walk around comfortably, while you’re fashionable in a not-so-fashionable type of way.

Continuing the Normcore trend is the next summer trend, which is denim. Denim skirts in minis, midis and maxis and in a range of fits and washes, boyfriend jeans, jean shorts, overalls, jean dresses — I think I have seen it all.

Denim is a staple item because it practically goes with anything. And it becomes even more versatile because it’s extremely easy to play up or dress down. This allows so many outfit combinations with individual pieces, which is probably why I’m a huge fan of this trend.

Since I’ve been in the city, I have invested in an A-line denim skirt and a short denim shift dress, both of which I dress up with loafers or flats for work and wear with tanks and sandals on the weekends.

The relaxed vibe continues with the third trend: ’70s. Psychadelic patterns and florals mixed with loose structures and flowy textiles allow for comfort and movement while also looking polished.

I often wear loose wide-legged pants and a loose tank to work because my job requires me to move around, so wearing restrictive clothing hinders my work. On the weekend, adding a little bit of fringe or adding a suede or crocheted vest adds a relaxed flair to my look.

No matter where you look in New York City, you are going to find someone with a completely different take on his or her personal style. On one corner you can see someone dressed to the nines in a red Valentino dress with pumps, while on another you see someone wearing a jean pencil skirt with a short-sleeved turtleneck and combat boots.

Both are different, and both are stylish. New York City is where the fashion is at.

Alexis McDonell is a junior magazine journalism major. Her column appears bi-weekly in Pulp. You can email her at admcdone@syr.edu.