Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse earns No. 4 seed in NCAA tournament, will play winner of Penn-Albany in 2nd round

Syracuse has earned the No. 4 seed in the NCAA tournament as well as a first-round bye. SU will host the winner of Pennsylvania and Albany in the second round on May 10 at SU Soccer Stadium.

The Orange received an automatic berth into the NCAA tournament after winning the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament. SU defeated then-No. 4 Boston College, then-No. 3 Duke and then-No. 2 North Carolina in a four-day stretch last week.

“Much like I talked about the regular season preparing us for the playoffs, the ACC tournament’s very similar to playing in the NCAA tournament,” Syracuse head coach Gary Gait said on Thursday, “… I’m hoping it helped. I believe it will.”

Despite its three-game stretch in the ACC tournament, the Orange (14-7, 3-4 ACC) lost 9-8 to No. 14 Loyola on Saturday, dropping to 6-5 in one-goal games.

Gait said on Thursday that his team’s goal every season is to earn a top-four seed to gain home-field advantage until the final four. Despite its loss to Loyola, SU earned that opportunity.

The Orange’s seven losses in a regular season is its most since 2011 and second-most since 2006. Last year, Syracuse earned the No. 2 seed in the NCAA tournament and reached the national championship before falling to Maryland, 15-12, for the third time in 2014.