Sean Hickey, Durell Eskridge go undrafted as Syracuse has no players drafted for first time since 2008

For the first time since 2008, no former Syracuse players were selected in the NFL Draft.

Offensive tackle Sean Hickey and safety Durrell Eskridge were the two highest-rated players entering this weekend, but they will both likely seek to join a team through free agency. This year’s NFL Draft was just the second time since 1975 that Syracuse had no players selected.

CBS Sports and ESPN projected Hickey to be taken in the sixth and seventh round, respectively. He said in a teleconference on Tuesday that he had been hearing he’d be taken between the third and fifth rounds. Hickey was not among the twenty-one offensive tackles were taken in the seven rounds, according to CBS Sports.

Eskridge chose to enter the NFL Draft and forgo his final year of eligibility. He was projected to be taken in either the fourth or fifth round by CBS Sports and in the fifth by ESPN.

But despite the projections, when the draft ended late Saturday afternoon, no former Syracuse players had been taken.

Linebackers Dyshawn Davis and Cameron Lynch and running back Prince-Tyson Gulley were all projected to go undrafted by CBS Sports and they too were not selected.