Women's Lacrosse

Offensive inconsistencies plague Syracuse in 9-8 loss to Loyola in final regular season game

Riley Donahue cut through the middle of Loyola’s defense, caught a pass and fired a shot from point-blank range that clanked off the right post.

Syracuse head coach Gary Gait, standing nearly level with the Loyola goal on SU’s sideline, let out a sigh and walked back toward the rest of the Syracuse bench.

SU attack Kayla Treanor had just scored twice in 31 seconds to bring the Orange within a goal of Loyola with just three minutes left in the game and Donahue’s chance could have tied the score with only two minutes remaining.

“She’s just a freshman and it’s tough getting that shot and putting it in,” Gait said. “We had multiple other players that had opportunities earlier and just didn’t get the job done.”

Syracuse’s first half was plagued by poor shooting and missed opportunities. The Orange scored just two goals in the first half and finished the game with only eight goals on 32 shots. SU mounted a comeback, scoring six goals in the second half, but it was too late and the No. 2 Orange (14-7, 3-4 Atlantic Coast) fell to the No. 14 Greyhounds (15-4, 8-0 Patriot), 9-8, at SU Soccer Stadium on Saturday in front of a crowd of 1,022.

“We were just playing a little lethargic,” Gait said. “When we shoot high-to-high and we shoot from the outside, we shoot poorly and those are the games we’ve lost throughout the year.”

Syracuse dominated the possession at the beginning of the game, but its offense struggled to find the back of the net.

Attack Halle Majorana had a goal called off for being in the crease and attack Kailah Kempney sent a sidearm shot wide from eight meters away that rolled up the hill behind the net.

In one possession, midfielder Erica Bodt shot wide and then high on two chances cutting through the middle, before throwing her head back in frustration.

Attack Devon Collins scored the Orange’s first goal quickly after Bodt’s missed shots, but it came with nearly 14 minutes gone in the half — the latest SU has scored all season.

“Having off days, that happens,” Bodt said. “… we just have to focus on our fakes and finishing the shots.”

Gait yelled to his players to spread out and move around on offense, constantly telling his midfielders behind him on the sideline to stop watching the ball.

But only two of SU’s 14 shots in the first half went for goals and the Orange went into the break trailing, 4-2.

Midway through the second half SU fell behind, 8-4, but with about 11 minutes left it seemed as though Majorana had scored SU’s third goal in a row to bring it within one.

She dodged toward the crease and found the back of the net while crashing to the ground, but for the third time of the game, her goal was called off for being in the crease.

Majorana got up and ran toward the referee, screaming and waving her arms. SU midfielder Gabby Jaquith intercepted Majorana on her path to the official and pulled her away. “What do you want?” Majorana yelled to someone as she walked to the bench.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Majorana said. “Definitely a mental lapse on my part.”

Loyola scored on its ensuing possession, but Treanor scored twice while Majorana watched on the sideline to make it a one-goal game. SU managed one final chance on Donahue’s shot, but she wasn’t able to tie the game.

The Greyhounds held the ball until the final seconds ticked off the clock.

Loyola goalie Molly Wolf threw her gloves to the ground, screaming, “Let’s go,” as her teammates charged toward her.

“We talked a good game about it being a playoff type game for seeding and going into the playoffs the right way,” Gait said. “Unfortunately, we weren’t up to the task today.”