Tennis

Syracuse falls to Virginia Tech, 7-0, in final road match of regular season

Syracuse kept it close in its first match of the weekend before eventually losing. SU tried to bounce back Sunday in its second match of the weekend. The Orange was unsuccessful, though, and this time it was lopsided.

SU (7-11, 2-10 Atlantic Coast) suffered another 7-0 loss to No. 42 Virginia Tech (14-7, 5-6) on Sunday in Blacksburg, Virginia in its final road match of the regular season. It was the Orange’s fifth 7-0 loss in its last eight matches.

The only win for Syracuse on Sunday came in doubles play, with senior Amanda Rodgers and sophomore Rhiann Newborn winning 8-4.

The other two doubles matches didn’t bode well for the Orange, with sophomore Olivia Messineo and senior Komal Safdar losing their match 8-3 and senior Breanna Bachini and freshman Nicole Mitchell falling 8-4 in theirs.

And Syracuse didn’t find much more success in singles.

Newborn was the first Orange player to finish, only taking a game in each set in her loss to No. 46 Francesca Fusinato. Messineo also lost all but two games in her match, falling 0-6, 2-6 to her opponent.

Bachini and Safdar put up stronger fights in their contests. Bachini kept her first set close at 4-6, but didn’t fare as well in the second as she lost 1-6. Safdar put up decent scores in both of her sets, but ultimately lost 3-6, 5-7.

Mitchell and Rodgers were the last two players to finish, both pushing their opponents to super tiebreaks.

Mitchell won her first set, but her opponent didn’t make it easy for her as the win came off of an 8-6 tiebreak victory. From there, Mitchell stayed in the match but couldn’t earn the point. She lost the next set 4-6 before falling 8-10 in a super tiebreak.

Rodgers’ situation was different, as she lost her first set 4-6 before coming back and taking the second 7-5. But she couldn’t win her super tiebreak either, losing 11-13 to end the match.

Syracuse’s next match will be against North Carolina State (10-13, 1-11) on Friday at 2 p.m. at Drumlins Tennis Center.