Syracuse players react to Pro Day performance

Eighteen players competed in Syracuse’s Pro Day on Tuesday. Here’s reaction from several of those outgoing seniors hoping to play at the next level:

Cameron Lynch

Lynch jumped 35 inches for his vertical and liked his shuttle but did not have his time, he said. While Pro Day showcased his physical ability, Lynch listed his strengths as his “leadership, tenacity, always being on time, dependable.

“Like I said, other than that, let the chips fall where they may and we’ll see what happens.”

Brandon Reddish

Reddish said he didn’t even ask for his times following SU’s Pro Day. He was nervous and tried to block everyone out. He didn’t speak to any of the scouts, just said, “‘Hey,’ and that’s it.”

“The training is very intense,” Reddish said. “Coach (Will) Hicks stayed on us. He made sure we pushed through everything. If we would stop a rep, he would start the whole thing over and make sure we continued and I feel like we all went out there and did good today.”

Dyshawn Davis

Leading up to SU’s Pro Day, Davis worked out in Miami for three to four weeks, worked out at home in Woodbury, New Jersey for another two and a half weeks and has worked out with Hicks in Syracuse since. SU’s Pro Day was one of the latest of all NCAA Division I schools, which gave him a chance to put on weight.

“Having a late Pro Day could be a benefit or it could also harm you,” Davis said. “For me and my situation, I wanted to gain weight, so I weighed in 227 today, that’s the most I ever weighed.”

He ran his 40-yard dash within a range of 4.6 to 4.7 seconds and worked with the defensive backs and Lynch for positional drills.

Robert Welsh

Welsh will be visiting the Jets — the only NFL team he’s talked to — on Friday. At SU’s Pro Day, Welsh ran routes at tight end for the first time since playing the position in high school.

“Last year during this past season, I played a little bit of tight end on the goal line,” Welsh said. “But now I just blocked a little bit.”

Welsh emphasized his versatility and ability to play defensive end, outside linebacker or tight end to make an NFL roster.

Micah Robinson

Robinson has been working every day with assistant athletics director for athletic performance Hicks, where they do workouts and film review. He said he hasn’t heard from any teams yet about professional interest. He said he felt a bit limited on Tuesday because of a shoulder injury.

“I feel a little bit worried about it, but at the same time, I feel like my tape did enough speaking for myself,” Robinson said. “I feel like when I get 100 percent, teams know what I can do, so I’m pretty confident for the most part.”

Darius Kelly

Kelly said no scouts talked to him during or after Pro Day, but several gave him a head nod after some of his plays. He got 23 reps on the bench press and a 4.47 on the 40-yard dash. His vertical leap was 35.5 inches and a 9-foot, 10-inch broad jump. He trained in Arizona and plans to finish some online classes at SU and get his degree.

“Coach Will Sullivan, he’s a stickler, he coached some of the best out there,” Kelly said of training in Arizona. “He taught me how to come out of my breaks, how to high-point the ball. I attest that to Coach Sullivan and all the work I put in out there.”

Jarrod West

West thinks he has pretty good odds of landing on an NFL roster. On Tuesday, he did 19 reps on the bench press and had a 35.5-inch vertical leap, he said. He plans on staying in Syracuse to train until the draft.

The real drama came before Pro Day, when West said he almost needed SU offensive coordinator Tim Lester to throw to him if former SU QB Ryan Nassib wouldn’t have been able to make it. But West made sure he had his good friend and former roommate in Syracuse to help him show off.

“My agent, we talked about who could throw and who was allowed to and stuff like that,” West said. “He asked me if I could ask any of the older quarterbacks and I know one of the best quarterbacks in the country. I gave Ryan a call, and as soon as I called, he was all for it.”

Adrian Flemming

Flemming said he ran a 4.7 time in the 40-yard dash. His vertical leap was 34 inches. He said it’s “hard to say” if any teams are interested in him, and is waiting for his agent to get back to him.

“I,” Flemming said before pausing, “I think I have a chance. But I’m not guaranteeing anything. We’ll see what happens. Just going with the flow.”

John Miller

Miller said he started in a spot where he was undersized. He likened that to former teammate Macky MacPherson, whose brain he often said he picked. He wants to have better technique to get quicker and better with his hands.

“It only takes one team to fall in love with you, and there’s your shot,” Miller said. “It doesn’t have to be all 32 teams. It’s gotta be just one.”