Editorial Board

General Body suggestions must be noted

THE General Body’s suggested comments on Syracuse University’s Fast Forward Academic Strategic Plan should be seriously considered. The group’s suggestions relating to “The Student Experience” and “Discovery” should be priorities moving forward.

Last week SU released an abridged version of its Academic Strategic Plan to outline current initiatives being proposed. The university then initiated an open comment period for suggestions on the document, which will end April 10. THE General Body used this opportunity to its advantage and released a list of suggestions that align with its values.

It’s admirable that THE General Body has taken the time to make these recommendations during the open comment period, because it is designed for feedback from concerned members of the SU community.

The particular recommendations The Daily Orange Editorial Board supports fall under “The Student Life Experience,” which include: the creation of gender-neutral bathrooms in all buildings, maintenance of current need-based scholarships, additional mental health professionals on campus and continued support of and an accessible entrance to the LGBT Resource Center.

THE General Body has shown its ability to create change following its 18-day sit-in last semester. The group says its represents marginalized parties and diverse identities, and shares the mission to educate the SU community about their needs and grievances.

While THE General Body has been outspoken about the matters it takes issue with, not all of its concerns reflect all students at SU, and they should not be thought to do so. If students do support what THE General Body has suggested, they should make that known to the university, and if students have opposing views they should also make their voices heard. This open comment period is the time act.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board also supports the other proposals laid out by THE General Body in relation to “Discovery”. The concerns surrounding livable wages to adjuncts, teaching assistants and graduate assistants, more affordable university sponsored health care and amendments to the Student Handbook in regard to Sexual Assault should also be emphasized.

When reviewing the comments on the Academic Strategic plan, the university should look at which concerns were raised most frequently to get an accurate picture of what the student body wants.

THE General Body raised many concerns of note, but “The Student Experience” and “Discovery” suggestions are of utmost importance.