Editorial Board

Delayed speaker reveal causes concern

The delay of Syracuse University’s announcement of the 2015 commencement speaker has left students wondering: what’s the holdup? To soothe students’ anxiety SU should announce the commencement speaker in the near future or at the very least give students a time frame for when they can expect the big reveal.

The last three speakers at SU commencement ceremony were all announced in March: it was revealed that David Remnick, editor of The New Yorker, would be 2014’s commencement speaker on March 31; in 2013 the university released that Nicholas Kristof, a columnist for The New York Times, would serve as speaker on March 4; the year prior to that it was unveiled that Aaron Sorkin, playwright, screenwriter and SU alumnus, would be the 2012 speaker on March 8.

It is the middle of April and no mention of a commencement speaker, besides unfounded rumors, has been made. Commencement is on May 10, and time is ticking.

This break from the norm has students on the edge of their seats. This feeling of anticipation can be likened to what many students felt when University Union announced this year’s Mayfest and Block Party line up so much later than it had in the past. A delay of this sort inevitably leads students to wonder if everything is going as planned.

Not all hope should be lost, though. When Ronald Taylor, a class marshals for the class of 2015, was asked about the announcement, he said that he was not sure why there has been such a delay but he’s been told that the commencement speaker would be announced this week.

Commencement is the grand finale for students who have spent years pursuing their degrees. It is an important moment for students, their families and the SU community as a whole.

This tension could easily be amended. The university shouldn’t ignore the fact that the announcement of the commencement speaker is behind schedule; it should address it head on. Simply alerting students that the commencement speaker’s unveiling is on its way and can be expected shortly would do the job.