Softball

Syracuse’s home opener against Canisius cancelled due to field conditions

Logan Reidsma | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse head coach Leigh Ross will have to wait even longer for her team to play a home game after SU's Tuesday doubleheader with Canisius was cancelled due to field conditions.

Syracuse’s home opener against Canisius on Tuesday, a doubleheader slated for a 3 p.m. start, was cancelled due to field conditions at SU Softball Stadium. Neither game of the doubleheader will be made up, SU Athletics said in a release.

Instead of the doubleheader, Syracuse (12-14, 0-3 Atlantic Coast) and Canisius (8-9) held a scrimmage at Manley Fieldhouse that wasn’t open to media.

Syracuse’s home opener and next game is now scheduled for this upcoming weekend. Syracuse will take on Louisville (18-8, 8-1 ACC) in two games on Saturday starting at 1 p.m. The Orange will also play the Cardinals on Sunday at noon.

The team hasn’t played in over a week now, as three games at Boston College this past weekend were also cancelled. SU’s games against Louisville will be its first in almost two full weeks, dating back to its 3-0 win against Towson on March 15.

Syracuse has struggled in conference play so far this season and will look to improve offensively this weekend against Louisville. In three games against Virginia Tech earlier this March, the Orange were shut out twice and managed to only score twice in a 10-2 blowout.