Tennis

Syracuse falls 7-0 to Florida State 2 days after snapping losing streak

Despite breaking out of a doubles slump by taking the doubles point on Friday, Syracuse reverted to its struggles by losing two quick doubles matches that sent the match in a bad direction on Sunday afternoon.

And things didn’t improve from there.

After snapping a four-match losing streak on Friday afternoon, Syracuse (7-9, 2-8 Atlantic Coast) lost to Florida State (11-7, 4-5) 7-0 on Sunday in Tallahassee, Florida. It was the team’s fourth shutout loss out in seven matches in March.

After their resilient doubles victory on Friday, senior Amanda Rodgers and sophomore Rhiann Newborn only took two games in their 8-2 loss to Gabriella Castaneda and Emily Fanning, the No. 40 doubles team in the country.

Senior Breanna Bachini and freshman Nicole Mitchell failed to win a single game in their match, and the Seminoles won the doubles point.

Sophomore Valeria Salazar and senior Komal Safdar, the No. 59 doubles team, only played three games of their match before it was halted.

The woes continued for the Orange in singles play, as Safdar was the only player to win a set.

She won her first set 6-3, but her strong start wasn’t enough to earn a point for Syracuse as she lost the next two 3-6, 4-6.

At the number one singles spot, Rodgers lost the first set 6-2, and she found an identical result in the second.

Both Newborn and Mitchell also lost their matches 6-2, 6-2.

Bachini played a closer first set, taking four games before losing 6-4. But she didn’t match that tally in her second set, only winning one game.

Of all the singles players besides Safdar, Salazar was the most successful. She fought in the first set to keep things even at six games a piece, but then lost the tiebreak and the second set 7-5 to lose the match.

The Orange takes a break from action next weekend and will resume play against Wake Forest (12-9, 2-7) in Winston-Salem, North Carolina on Saturday, April 11.

Compiled by Kevin Pacelli, staff writer, kjpacell@syr.edu