Editorial Board

SU veteran services should be replicated

Syracuse University’s continued partnership with the Institute of Veterans and Military Families is one that other institutions of higher education should try to emulate.

The mutually beneficial relationship gives the IVMF prominence through association with SU, a well-known private school, so it can build strong relationships with third parties, while the university gets the benefit of learning from interacting with veterans.

It is common opinion that veterans should be able to return to civilian life with ease. However, responsibility for assisting in this transition often goes unassigned. It is therefore admirable that SU has, without requirement, gone to extra lengths to be an institution that is welcoming and helpful to veterans.

When the IVMF was founded at Syracuse University in June of 2011, it was set up as the “first national center in higher education focused on the social, economic and policy issues impacting veterans and their families post-service.” The IVMF, while set up by the university, does not receive any funding from SU. Fundraising efforts and corporate sponsorships support all the IVMF’s operations.

This system has served the IVMF well; earlier in the semester the IVMF received grants worth $8.5 million dollars with in a span of three weeks. Donors and corporations are inclined to give to the IVMF because of its efficiency and continued expansion of services. Other schools should consider implementing an IVMF equivalent because a similar program would likely be met with the same support. Donors want to give back to causes they believe in, such as support for veterans.

Because of all the support the IVMF receives, it can continue to expand. The newest initiative headed by the IVMF, “Onward to Opportunities,” is the product of a partnership with the Schultz Family Foundation and the U.S. Department of Defense. The program is designed to assist service-members and active duty spouses on military bases by offering industry-specific training.

When Chancellor Kent Syverud joined the university he made it a priority to support the services provided for the veterans. In his inauguration speech, Syverud said he wanted SU to be the best place for veterans.

The IVMF only makes the university a better place; it is not typical for schools to take care of veterans in this capacity. It should be commended that Syracuse has taken it upon itself to maintain such a strong relationship with the men and women who have served this country.