Culture

Magic Man, Panama Wedding play at 1st Bandersnatch concert of spring semester

When Syracuse University students asked for a band, University Union delivered — with three.

Indie pop bands Magic Man, Panama Wedding and Basket(s) rocked Schine Underground on Wednesday night for the first spring show of the Bandersnatch Concert Series.

It’s been about one year since the Bandersnatch Concert Series has brought bands to campus. Inside the Underground was a crowd of students who were excited to see drums on stage, but the fans had a lackluster vibe throughout the three performances.

The nearly sold-out show finally started to come alive once Magic Man hit the stage as the last act, but not without help from opener Panama Wedding. Known for its hit, “All Of The People,” Panama Wedding attempted to get the crowd moving with its synth and keyboard-heavy tunes. Despite its efforts, the band had little effect on the crowd’s energy level. SU is the second stop for the band as openers for Magic Man on their latest tour.

“This is our second tour with Magic Man, so we had such a good experience with them on their last tour that they invited us on this tour,” said Peter Kirk, lead singer of Panama Wedding. “Touring is great. I’ve never been to Syracuse University. I think for all of us it’s cool to travel to places we normally never go.”

Students were disinterested for most of Panama Wedding’s set. Conversations among members of the crowd were just as loud as Kirk’s performance onstage. It wasn’t until the end of the set when a single drum, played by the bassist, was added to the stage and brought a new energy to the band’s songs.

Magic Man, a synthrock group from Boston, brought excitement and a traditional band feel to the stage with its opening song, “Waves.” Lead signer Alex Caplow burst onto the stage and immediately got the crowd to put their hands in the air. Caplow repeatedly jumped on and off the two platforms in front of him on stage in order to get the crowd moving whenever there was even a small lack of interest.

The five-piece band said the new tour is more glamorous than its previous tours because their name has hit the charts, and because it has its own stage set up compared to being openers for bigger bands, such as Panic! At The Disco and Smallpools.

“For now, we are the granddaddy. It’s really cool,” said Magic Man bassist Gabe Goodman. “You can see any show and pick up anything from it. I every time I go to a show I learn something.”

Caplow teased the crowd by saying it was the last song of the night, bringing disappointment to many fans.

A few seconds later the band burst out into Jimmy Eat World’s “The Middle.” More students knew the lyrics to the classic cover than to the rest of the songs played throughout the evening.

Magic Man ended its set with the band’s most popular and chart topping hit, “Paris,” and left the audience with their hands in the air, finishing the night with satisfied looks on their faces.

University Union’s next Bandersnatch concert will take place March 17 and will feature hip-hop artists Isaiah Rashad and Pell.