college of law

DPS investigating report that College of Law student was drugged at off-campus party

The Syracuse University Department of Public Safety is looking into a report that a female College of Law student was drugged at a house party in December 2014.

The law student had been attending a house party about five miles off the SU campus. At the party, the drinks were not in containers — they had been made and mixed by people there, said Tony Callisto, senior vice president and chief law enforcement officer for the division of campus safety and emergency services.

After leaving the party, the law student and her friend felt as if they had been drugged during the party. After winter break, the student reported the incident to College of Law officials, who then encouraged them to contact local law enforcement, Callisto said.

Tomás Gonzalez, the senior assistant dean of student life at the law school, said in an email that the College of Law received the report concerning the possible drink tampering a few weeks ago, and said because the investigation is still active, only limited details can be given.

“We take student safety very seriously and it is one of our paramount concerns,” Gonzalez said. “We always urge students to come to us with issues of safety both on and off campus.”

DPS has scheduled a forum at noon Feb. 3 with a safety presentation and tips about personal safety. The forum is open to all SU College of Law students, Callisto said.

Gonzalez said the original date for the forum was Friday, but at the request of the student who reported the incident and other student leaders, the date was moved back “so that the forum could be more accessible to all students.”