Student Association

Chat & Dine program receives, approves several applications

Chat & Dine with faculty and staff, a program started by the Syracuse University Student Association, has received a few applications since the initiative officially started a few weeks ago.

Chat & Dine allows students to interact with professors, faculty and staff members outside the classroom and office hours.

The idea for the program was approved in November 2014, and included a $3,000 fund from SA. The Chat & Dine with faculty and staff initiative began to accept applications from SU students in January. The Student Association has received several applications, said Aysha Seedat, director of student life for SA. Almost all of the applications have been approved, she said.

Seedat added that the actual lunches have not taken place yet, but the first lunch will most likely happen some time this week or next week.

“Once people have lunch then we will be able to figure out saying ‘OK, are we doing this right?’ and ‘Is there any specific thing to do make this more efficient?’” she said.

Students can obtain an application sheet at the Student Association office in the Schine Student Center. They then must fill out information including their name and email address, the name of a faculty member with whom the students want to have lunch and the department in which the faculty member teaches.

The new program was designed to allow students to interact and get to know SU professors and faculty members better. A similar program to Chat & Dine was adopted by the University of Rochester earlier in 2014.

In addition, students who are interested must answer a series of questions on why they would like to have lunch with that particular faculty or staff member and how the program can help students interact with faculty and staff members in a way that students cannot do otherwise.

After seven business days, SA will send an email to students who applied, notifying them whether their application was accepted or declined.

If approved, SA will make a reservation under the faculty or staff member’s name on a specific day and time at the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center, located between Bird Library and Watson Hall. Tentatively, the Chat & Dine reservations are expected to take place on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Seedat said if the program goes well, there is the possibility to expand on the Chat & Dine program in the future.