SU announces creation of Division of Campus Safety, Emergency Services

Syracuse University announced Thursday the formation of a new Division of Campus Safety and Emergency Services to increase collaboration and coordination of safety and emergency-related departments.

The division brings together all areas of the SU community that have a primary focus on safety, emergency response and risk management, according to an SU news release. Effective immediately, Department of Public Safety Chief Tony Callisto will lead the new division and will serve as the SU’s Senior Vice President for Safety and Chief Law Enforcement Officer.

SU Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Louis Marcoccia, who Callisto will directly report to, announced the changes. To fill Callisto’s role, DPS Associate Chief Jill Lentz has been appointed as Interim Chief of Public Safety, while a national search for the position is conducted.

“These changes will result in better communication, more efficient and improved safety-related services for the University community and enhanced coordination with local first responder agencies,” Marcoccia said in the release.

The departments within the new Division of Campus Safety and Emergency Services are:

• Department of Public Safety
  • Emergency Management
  • Fire and Life Safety
  • Office of Environmental Health
  • Risk Management and Regulatory Compliance Services
  • Threat Assessment and Management Team
  • Parking and Transit Services

Callisto will lead all SU campus safety and emergency services collaboration efforts with other SU divisions, departments and units, as well as external partners, according to the release.

“Our work also involves collaboration with divisions across campus to increase communications and ensure regulatory compliance to help maintain the best campus environment in which to study and work,” Callisto said in the release.

Callisto has served as Chief of DPS since 2006 after 25 years with the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office.