Work Wednesday

Work Wednesday: Rochelle Ford

Joshua Chang | Staff Photographer

Rochelle Ford incorporates elements of her faith into her work as chair of the public relations department in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Rochelle Ford considers her work in the public relations department of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications her “ministry.”

Ford joined the Newhouse faculty as the department chair of the Public Relations Department last June. Since then, she has incorporated elements of her faith and her experiences as both a minister and missionary into her work with the program.

“I view my work as a ministry, what I do every day working with students is a ministry,” Ford said.

For Ford, this includes exercising core Christian values of honesty, love and forgiveness. But it also includes connecting with students and sharing her personal struggles.

Ford had to overcome anxiety, depression and forge her own path after not receiving her master’s degree from the University of Maryland, College Park on time. But her strong faith has given her confidence to look forward.

“I’m not ashamed that I’m a single mom; I’m not ashamed that I’ve been divorced,” she said. “God’s given me the grace to get through them and still be standing. I’ve got to share them with somebody.”

Prior to her arrival in Syracuse, Ford served as an administrator at Howard University in Washington, D.C., where she promoted diversity-related issues and led a ministry for single parents. During that time, Ford also took a mission trip to Kenya, which transformed her outlook on life.

Now at Newhouse, Ford feels inspired to bring her experience, both positive and negative, toward improving the department and reaching out to students in the classroom.

“I do believe God gifted me the ability to teach,” Ford said.

Ford also said that she hopes to channel her skills, both from her faith and her career, toward modeling a new public relations department.

In the meantime, Ford has settled in at North Syracuse Baptist Church, a place she said she’s found great support during her transition into her role at Newhouse, where she hopes to one day make a positive impact across the globe.

“I really want to do things that will make a difference in peoples’ lives and help them achieve their dreams and make this world a better place,” Ford said. “I think it’s a calling.”