SU lobbies for drone research, $70,000 total in 3rd quarter

Syracuse University briefed government officials on its research efforts on drones as part of its most recent lobbying efforts, according to a lobbying report filed on Monday.

The university reported $70,000 in total lobbying activity for the third quarter of 2014, up from $60,000 in the second quarter. The third quarter report covered July 1 through Sept. 30.

The lobbying activity listed in the university’s report was briefing the offices of New York Senators Charles Schumer (D-New York) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-New York) and U.S. Rep. Dan Maffei (D-New York) on the university’s research efforts in unmanned aircraft systems, more commonly known as drones.

SU, along with the Center for Advanced Systems and Engineering at SU, has been actively involved in funding and researching the development of unmanned aircraft systems and unmanned aerial vehicles, specifically in the L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science, according to an January 2014 SU News release.

The Federal Aviation Administration announced in December that a regional partnership in New York and Massachusetts will operate one of six test sites for unmanned aircraft systems. Griffiss International Airport, which is operated by Oneida County, will direct unmanned aircraft systems operations in partnership with SU and other industries.

In a separate report, Daniel J. French & Associates, a firm hired by SU to lobby, reported $50,000 in lobbying for the university. The reported lobbying activity focused on science, homeland security and veterans.

In science and technology, SU lobbied for funding opportunities for research on energy efficiency, according to the firm’s report. In regards to homeland security, SU lobbied for “contact with regard to grant or other funding opportunities for research and training in the areas of forensic science as it relates to national security,” according to the report. SU lobbied for continued support for the Institute for Veterans and Military Families, according to the report.

Eric Persons, associate vice president of government and community relations, said in an email that in addition to SU’s normal government relations operation, the university reported a portion of salaries and expenses of faculty and staff from across campus who were communicating with public officials in advocating for research and education matters.

Persons said that SU must report a portion of its membership dues if it belongs to any higher education association that lobbies.

“In this case, we reported the School of Education’s membership in a coalition composed of other colleges of education that works on issues such as teacher training and certification, childhood learning and development and pedagogical research,” he said.

Persons said that moving forward, SU is prepared to respond to any proposed changes in government regulations that impact higher education. Persons cited the federal government’s Higher Education Act, which will be expiring at the end of 2015, as a piece of legislation that affects SU.

“This is an important piece of legislation that touches on several areas in higher education, including financial aid,” he said. “We expect Congress to consider its reauthorization after the election in November.”

The $190,000 reported in lobbying thus far this year is the smallest amount through three quarters since 2011, when SU reported $150,000 in lobbying through three quarters. Through three quarters in 2012 and 2013, SU reported lobbying $210,000 and $230,000, respectively.

The fourth quarter runs from Oct. 1 to Dec. 30 with a filing deadline of Jan. 20.