NCAA Investigation

Shafer arrives in Chicago for NCAA investigation, per report

Syracuse head football coach Scott Shafer joined a contingent of Syracuse officials in Chicago on Thursday morning for a hearing on potential NCAA violations committed by the university, according to a report by The Post-Standard.

The hearing, which will play out over Thursday and Friday, will determine whether or not SU violated NCAA rules and a ruling is expected within 30-60 days. The Syracuse football and men’s basketball teams are under investigation, according to multiple reports.

Current and former Syracuse officials have been interviewed about issues in academics, benefits to athletes and drug policy failures, according to The Post-Standard.

SU basketball head coach Jim Boeheim and his associate head coach Mike Hopkins were also invited to the hearing as were at least four former employees of SU’s academic support system for athletes, according to The Post-Standard. Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford confirmed at Wednesday’s men’s basketball media day that the conference would be sending a representative to the hearing.

Shafer entered the Chicago Hilton at around 8:45 a.m., according to The Post-Standard. His weekly Thursday press conference in Manley Field House’s Iocolano-Petty Football Wing auditorium was rescheduled from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 8:11 a.m. on Thursday.

SU’s senior vice president for public affairs, Kevin Quinn, was also seen at the hotel, according to The Post-Standard.