Offensive tackle Davis uses soccer experience to excel on Clemson’s line

Courtesy of Clemson Athletics

Kalon Davis (67) is Clemson's starting right tackle and leads its offensive line into the Tigers' matchup with Syracuse on Saturday. As for his quick feet despite his large frame, that comes from the soccer field.

Kalon Davis’ 6-foot-5, 340-pound frame is more suited for the gridiron than the soccer pitch.

“The first time he walked on the field I was like, ‘What the crap? Who is this guy?’” said Tyler Bernstein, who has played against Davis in intramural soccer leagues at Clemson. “It was so surprising to see someone that huge coming to play soccer.”

Davis has been playing soccer since he was 3 years old, but will be starting at right tackle for No. 21 Clemson (5-2, 4-1 Atlantic Coast) when it hosts Syracuse (3-4, 1-2) on Saturday at 7 p.m. in Death Valley. The redshirt senior didn’t start playing football until high school, but has used his soccer skills to become a versatile full-time starter on Clemson’s offensive line this season.

“He’s played everywhere,” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said. “He’s played left guard, right guard, right tackle, left tackle … He could play center if he could snap it.”

Davis’ mother, Loresia Davis said she didn’t want him playing football as a child because it was too dangerous. That led him to soccer at a young age and the sport became his passion. It’s paid off and he’ll be a big part of stopping a Syracuse defensive line that scored two touchdowns against Wake Forest last week.

In middle school he fell and broke his wrist during a soccer game, but only stayed on the sideline for a few minutes before going back into the game. He didn’t tell his parents his wrist hurt until a few days later, and when they took him to the doctor they found out it was broken.

Around the same time he started becoming bigger than his peers. Football coaches took notice and encouraged him to play.

“I think he even went out for the team and made it but he didn’t play,” Loresia said.

He wasn’t interested at the time.  But in eighth grade, he made a deal with the coach at Chester Senior (South Carolina) High School to play football once he entered ninth grade. He liked it right away and became a three-sport athlete, playing football, basketball and soccer. His size wasn’t the only thing that attracted football coaches.

Having played soccer as goalie, striker and midfielder helped Davis be lighter on his feet and quicker than most people his size.

His speed helps him get to the second level on running plays to block linebackers and makes it harder for defensive linemen to get around the edge on him when he’s playing tackle, Clemson center Ryan Norton said.

“Soccer’s more of a just pal around with the buddies kind of thing,” Davis said. “We play to just have fun, but it helps.”

A large part of playing offensive line is to mirror someone’s feet and try to stay in front of him, Davis said, adding that his footwork is similar to defending in soccer.

Fittingly, defense was an area Davis used to excel in on the soccer field.

“If you came within a distance with him, you were not going to succeed,” said Jamie Counterman, Davis’ high school soccer coach. “You had to definitely pass the ball. It was the only way you could get around him. If you tried to take him one-on-one, he would stop you.”

Even though he’s on scholarship to play football, Davis still finds time to play soccer at Clemson. He plays in an intramural team nearly every semester, playing indoor, outdoor and pickup games, too.

For Clemson football this year, Davis has started every game, sometimes playing as many as three different positions. That versatility combined with his speed, Swinney said, will give him a chance to play professional football.

Said Davis: “I always knew my thing was going to be football.”