Boeheim on Coleman injury: ‘It’s Nov. 1 and he hasn’t run yet’

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — After Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim explained why he wouldn’t comment on the upcoming NCAA hearing on Wednesday, the conversation flipped to basketball and he addressed the current status of the injured DaJuan Coleman.

Coleman is recovering from a surgically repaired knee and Boeheim wasn’t able to provide much of a timetable for a possible return.

“He’s walking. He’s doing some drills. It’s Nov. 1 and he hasn’t run yet,” Boeheim said at Atlantic Coast Conference media day in Charlotte, North Carolina. “He hasn’t run in 11 months. I would hope that he’s going to try running in November, jumping at the end of November. We’re going to see how it feels. I have no idea what’s going to happen. Doctors don’t know.”

When asked when the Orange will know whether it has to shut Coleman down for the season, Boeheim said that he could play if he was “moving really well” by early December.

“But I don’t know if that’s going to happen, honestly,” he added.

Syracuse opens up a tw0-game exhibition schedule against Carleton at 1 p.m. in the Carrier Dome on Sunday, and the regular season at home against Kennesaw State on Nov. 14.

Without Coleman, senior forward Rakeem Christmas, freshman forward Chris McCullough, sophomore forward Tyler Roberson and sophomore center Chinonso Obokoh are expected to see the bulk of the minutes in the SU frontcourt.