Allegations change Bowling Green receiver Lewis’ life, career perspective

Roger Lewis’ life flashed before his eyes as he reached his hands out to wrestle in a pass in the back-right corner of the end zone. His teammates pounded him on the head, celebrating his game-winning touchdown for Bowling Green with nine seconds remaining against Indiana.

There was something Lewis’ teammates didn’t immediately see.

“Roger started crying after he made that catch and we were saying, ‘Why is Roger crying?’” sophomore wide receiver Ronnie Moore said. “Roger told us he’s waited so long for this moment in his journey and now it’s finally here.

“That was a different side of Roger we hadn’t seen before.”

With a redefined perspective on life, he’s in the midst of one of the best football seasons he’s ever had. His 706 receiving yards through eight games are best on the Falcons by 215 yards and 13th most in Division I.

The tears are remnants of a turbulent past for Lewis, who was arrested and charged with two counts of rape the day before National Signing Day in his senior year of high school.

Lewis allegedly raped a fellow classmate on a couch in the basement of a friend’s house on Dec. 2, 2011, according to The Columbus Dispatch. He and the classmate had had a sexual relationship since they were freshmen at Pickerington (Ohio) Central High School, according to The Columbus Dispatch.

Another count of rape originated from an incident on Jan. 6, 2012 when Lewis allegedly raped the same classmate in the backseat of her car parked in front of a partially built housing development. Lewis claimed the woman had become jealous that he was dating another girl and that was why she came forth with allegations, according to The Columbus Dispatch.

Lewis was acquitted of the first count of rape in February 2013 and the second count was dropped in exchange for a guilty plea in falsification of statements he made to police, according to The Columbus Dispatch.

He received three years of probation, was banned from attending his senior prom and wasn’t allowed to walk the stage at graduation. Those consequences pale in comparison to the 22 years of prison Lewis faced if convicted.

“More than anything,” Lewis said, “(The trial) showed me that something that I love so much could be taken away from me.

“It made me realize I need to look at the bigger picture in life.”

He attended Jireh (North Carolina) Prep for one season to attempt to realign his Division I dreams, and rejuvenate his passion for football.

That meant rediscovering why he wanted to achieve his football dreams so badly in the first place — his mother, Tina Thomas. When he was growing up, she constantly badgered her son to go outside and run routes outside when he had down time.

Even during Lewis’ trial, she believed he would eventually play football again and gave him no breaks.

“I never doubted him,” Thomas said. “We knew the truth would be revealed, and because of his capabilities and raw natural talent, he would play again.”

Using her as the prime motivation, Lewis’ 900 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns at Jireh Prep were good enough to start garnering interest from Division I programs again.

The program at Bowling Green had shown interest in Lewis out of high school, but he intended to sign elsewhere. When BGSU coaches came around the second time, their pitches were more interesting to him.

The Falcons’ wide receivers coach, Sean Lewis, said that Lewis was someone worthy of a second chance based off their initial conversations.

“I could tell that he had obviously learned from this experience,” Sean Lewis said. “He had matured and handled everything the right way.”

On the first day of camp in January, Sean Lewis had to kick his freshman receiver out of his office because he wouldn’t stop studying film.

His intense preparation culminated for him as stepped to the line of scrimmage with Bowling Green down 42-39 to Indiana with 12 seconds remaining.

“I got to the line and I saw (head coach Dino Babers) signal the play,” Lewis said. “I said to myself, ‘I know this is where I’ve got to make my mark.’”

James Knapke’s lob pass hung in the air for nearly three seconds before Lewis juggled it between his hands, just as he was planting his feet.

The official shot his arms up to signal a touchdown and tears ran over Lewis’ ear-to-ear smile that his teammates and coaches talk about.

“It’s emotional to me to know that the game of football could have been taken away from me,” Lewis said. “But that’s how much I love the game.”